LinuxMCE is the Latest Smarthome Darling
LinuxMCE is a free, open source add-on to Kubuntu including a 10' UI -- a complete whole-house media solution with pvr + distributed media. It is stable, easy to use, and requires only the most basic computer skills to get going.
LinuxMCE features include:
Media and Entertainment
• 3D alpha-blended GUI optimized for displaying on a TV and using a remote control
• Media browser presenting all content on all devices in the home on a 3D rotating cube
• Plug-and-play detection and aggregation of network storage and DMA's
• Built-in NAS providing centralized backup and whole-house media server
• "Follow Me" Media, each family member's media follows him/her through the house
• Automatically controls all existing av devices, like TV's, Stereo's, etc.)
• Many control options: mobile phone, webpad, pda, phone
• Home Automation: Control lighting, climate, security, camera surveillance, and more
• Communication: Phone system with auto-attendant, voice mail, call forwarding/routing for VOIP and POTS lines
• Security: Uses your existing home alarm, surveillance cameras, lights, phones and tv's to notify you on your mobile phone of any security alerts with the option of reseting the alarm or broadcasting your voice in the house over the tv's
Read Jon "maddog" Hall's overview of LinuxMCE here on Linux Journal. With LinuxMCE he promises the potential for the "ultimate Linux home".
What makes the ultimate Linux home for you? Are you running LinuxMCE (or perhaps you're a die-hard MisterHouse fan)? Do you have a video you can share with readers of the most recent beta of LinuxMCE in action? We want more! Share with us in our "ultimate Linux home" forum.
- Building an Open-Source House by Doc Searls
- Call MisterHouse to Regulate Your Heat by David Lynch
- The ongoing MythTV saga continues by Nicholas Petreley