EPUB is a free and open e-book standard designed for reflowable content. Popular e-Reader devices such as the Nook and Sony Reader support the EPUB format.
Beginning in September 2011, Linux Journal began offering an EPUB edition. All paid Linux Journal subscribers receive access to download their monthly issue in .epub format as a part of their regular subscription.
EPUB Edition FAQ
Q. How do I sideload Linux Journal for reading on my NOOK?
A. You can sideload the Linux Journal EPUB files on to the NOOK and read them using the following steps:
- Connect your NOOK to your computer using a USB cable
- Copy the EPUB file from its location on your computer to the My Documents folder in the NOOK window
- On your NOOK, tap My Library, Go to My Documents, and then Check for New Content to refresh your NOOK's My Documents folder.
- Tap My Library on the touchscreen
- Tap Go to My Documents
- Browse to your book and then tap Read
Another easy way to manage EPUBs on your NOOK is to use the open source free eReader management software for your PC called Calibre which will allow you to transfer EPUBs to and from your NOOK.
Q. How do I sideload Linux Journal for reading on the NOOK app for Android?
A. You can sideload the Linux Journal EPUB files into the NOOK app and read them using the following steps:
- Connect (Mount) your phone to your PC or Mac to access the folder structure
- Open the NOOK Folder
- Open the My Documents Folder
- Drag any ePub files into the folder
- Disconnect your phone from PC or Mac
- Open NOOK for Android app
- In the library, filter by "My Files"
- You should be then able to open and read any of your files. If you cannot see your files, perform a sync.
Q. How do I read Linux Journal epubs on my iPad?
A. Browse to www.linuxjournal/digital and login to your account from the web browser on the iPad, then click on the epub you'd like to download. Once it downloads, there is a screen that says "Open in..." (for opening in Stanza or any other reader software) and "Open in "iBooks"" (for opening it in iBooks).
To open Linux Journal epubs purchased in the online store, we recommend using DropBox to sync up your eBooks books across devices, and download them to the iPad that way. Once you download each epub file in Dropbox, you will see an arrow in the top right corner to open it in another app, and you can choose iBooks, Stanza, or whatever you prefer.
You may also download your epubs directly from your subscription or Linux Journal store notification emails. Just click the download link while on your iPad, and open the file in the reading app of your choice.
Q. How do I sideload Linux Journal for reading on the Sony Reader?
A. You can sideload the Linux Journal EPUB files on to the Sony Reader and read them using the following steps:
- Open the Reader Library software and connect your Reader to your PC or Mac with a USB cable
- Sign in to your Reader Store account
- Within the Reader Library, locate the purchased EPUB file on your hard drive
- Drag your eBook from your Library to the Reader icon located in the left navigation area of the Reader Library software
- Click on the Reader icon to verify that your new book has successfully transferred to your device
- Once confirmed, you can now disconnect the USB cable and read your book on your Reader
Another easy way to manage EPUBs on your Sony Reader is to use the open source free eReader management software for your PC called Calibre which will allow you to transfer EPUBs to and from your Sony Reader.
Q. Can I read EPUB files on my desktop computer?
A. Yes. For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows systems, we like to use the free and open source Calibre to read EPUBs. For other platforms please visit Wikipedia's list of EPUB software reading systems. However if you're reading Linux Journal on your desktop and not a mobile device, we recommend downloading our PDF or Enhanced Online Digital edition instead (paid subscribers have access to both).
Q. Do I need to be subscribed to the Enhanced Online Digital edition to get access to the EPUB?
A. No. All paid subscribers receive access to all digital formats.
Q. Is the Linux Journal EPUB file "protected" by DRM?
Q. Are back issues of Linux Journal available as EPUBs?
A. The EPUB file format of the magazine is only available for the September 2011 issue on forward.
Q. I'm a subscriber. Where do I download the .epub files?
A. You can download all available .epub files on our Digital Download page (you'll need to login).
Q. Can I buy single issues of Linux Journal in the EPUB format?
A. Linux Journal is available in Barnes & Noble's Nook Bookstore online.
Q. Can I see a sample of the EPUB edition of the magazine before buying?
A. Yes. We invite you to sample our September 2011 issue free of charge.
Q. I have an EPUB-related question not answered here. Can you help me?
A. Yes! Please e-mail us your question and we'll do our best to get you an answer. If it's a commonly asked question, we'll also post it here.