Linux MIDI: A Brief Survey, Part 3
At some point, almost every serious MIDI musician needs to monitor a MIDI data stream, perhaps to diagnose a malfunctioning piece of equipment or to examine the contents of a MIDI sequence during playback. Samuel Dufour-Kowalski's GMidiMon is just the tool for that job, providing a simple GTK interface for displaying MIDI messages in a human-readable form (Figure 13). Alas, at this time GMidiMon doesn't support sysex messages, but the program works well when displaying any other MIDI message types.
That's it for this month's MIDI survey installment. Tune in next month, when I'll be presenting some interesting MIDI programming languages and experimental MIDI composition environments. Until then, I'm sure you can find something from this article to occupy your time. Or, visit linux-sound.org to check out some of the Linux audio and MIDI software listed there.
Dave Phillips is a musician, teacher and writer living in Findlay, Ohio. He has been an active member of the Linux audio community since his first contact with Linux in 1995. He is the author of The Book of Linux Music & Sound, as well as numerous articles in Linux Journal.
Similis sum folio de quo ludunt venti.
|The True Internet of Things||Sep 02, 2015|
|September 2015 Issue of Linux Journal: HOW-TOs||Sep 01, 2015|
|September 2015 Video Preview||Sep 01, 2015|
|Using tshark to Watch and Inspect Network Traffic||Aug 31, 2015|
|Where's That Pesky Hidden Word?||Aug 28, 2015|
|A Project to Guarantee Better Security for Open-Source Projects||Aug 27, 2015|
- Using tshark to Watch and Inspect Network Traffic
- The True Internet of Things
- September 2015 Issue of Linux Journal: HOW-TOs
- Problems with Ubuntu's Software Center and How Canonical Plans to Fix Them
- Concerning Containers' Connections: on Docker Networking
- Firefox Security Exploit Targets Linux Users and Web Developers
- Where's That Pesky Hidden Word?
- A Project to Guarantee Better Security for Open-Source Projects
- Build a “Virtual SuperComputer” with Process Virtualization
- My Network Go-Bag