One of the great things about Linux is how easy it is to customize. Now unfortunately if you don't know what you're doing and sometimes even if you do know what you're doing, you can get into trouble.
I found this method to be very useful in times of stress. As you all may know everything in Linux is a file, all of the settings are files. Inside your Home folder is where all of the settings and user specific files are located. Remove these folders to reset Ubuntu/Gnome back to its default.
If you don’t have access to your graphical (GUI) desktop to delete these folders in Nautilus or you’re just stuck at the login screen, drop into command-line by pressing CTRL + ALT + F1, login to your account, and run this command:
rm -rf .gnome .gnome2 .gconf .gconfd .metacity
Return to your GUI desktop by pressing CTRL + ALT + F7
Now you should be back to normal.
Please note this will only reset Gnome-specific settings. If you are having issues with your video card, x-server, etc., this WILL NOT fix those issues.
Zach Schneider is a web developer and Linux enthusiast. Find him on Twitter, @ZKM.
|Dynamic DNS—an Object Lesson in Problem Solving||May 21, 2013|
|Using Salt Stack and Vagrant for Drupal Development||May 20, 2013|
|Making Linux and Android Get Along (It's Not as Hard as It Sounds)||May 16, 2013|
|Drupal Is a Framework: Why Everyone Needs to Understand This||May 15, 2013|
|Home, My Backup Data Center||May 13, 2013|
|Non-Linux FOSS: Seashore||May 10, 2013|
- RSS Feeds
- Making Linux and Android Get Along (It's Not as Hard as It Sounds)
- Using Salt Stack and Vagrant for Drupal Development
- Dynamic DNS—an Object Lesson in Problem Solving
- New Products
- Validate an E-Mail Address with PHP, the Right Way
- Drupal Is a Framework: Why Everyone Needs to Understand This
- A Topic for Discussion - Open Source Feature-Richness?
- Download the Free Red Hat White Paper "Using an Open Source Framework to Catch the Bad Guy"
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Roll your own dynamic dns
3 hours 37 min ago
- Please correct the URL for Salt Stack's web site
6 hours 48 min ago
- Android is Linux -- why no better inter-operation
9 hours 4 min ago
- Connecting Android device to desktop Linux via USB
9 hours 32 min ago
- Find new cell phone and tablet pc
10 hours 30 min ago
11 hours 59 min ago
- Automatically updating Guest Additions
13 hours 8 min ago
- I like your topic on android
13 hours 54 min ago
- This is the easiest tutorial
20 hours 30 min ago
- Ahh, the Koolaid.
1 day 2 hours ago