Italian Economists Prefer Linux
Italy's Ministry of Economics and Finance has been bitten by the open-source bug, and has decided to take the Linux plunge in a big way.
The Ministry announced this week that they have decided to utilize Linux for their mission-critical applications, including one of the government's most popular websites as well as the system that provides paychecks for more than a million government employees. The distro of choice for the economisti italiani is Red Hat's Enterprise Linux, which will be used in conjunction with
existing Oracle and MySQL databases.
As with the recent announcement that the New York Stock Exchange is switching to Linux, the Ministry cited Linux's ability to reliably provide mission-critical applications as an important reason for the decision.
Justin Ryan is a Contributing Editor for Linux Journal.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2014 Poll
- Give new life to old phones and tablets with these tips!
- [<Megashare>] Watch Mrs Brown's Boys Movie Online Full Movie HD 2014
- Memory Ordering in Modern Microprocessors, Part I
- Source Code Scanners for Better Code
- Linux Systems Administrator
- Senior Perl Developer
- Technical Support Rep
- RSS Feeds