Italian Economists Prefer Linux
Italy's Ministry of Economics and Finance has been bitten by the open-source bug, and has decided to take the Linux plunge in a big way.
The Ministry announced this week that they have decided to utilize Linux for their mission-critical applications, including one of the government's most popular websites as well as the system that provides paychecks for more than a million government employees. The distro of choice for the economisti italiani is Red Hat's Enterprise Linux, which will be used in conjunction with
existing Oracle and MySQL databases.
As with the recent announcement that the New York Stock Exchange is switching to Linux, the Ministry cited Linux's ability to reliably provide mission-critical applications as an important reason for the decision.
Justin Ryan is a Contributing Editor for Linux Journal.
One Click, Universal Protection: Implementing Centralized Security Policies on Linux Systems
Join editor Bill Childers and Bit9's Paul Riegle on April 27 at 12pm Central to learn how to keep your Linux systems secure.
Free to Linux Journal readers.Register Now!
- Considering Legacy UNIX/Linux Issues
- Cluetrain at Fifteen
- [<Megashare>] Watch Mrs Brown's Boys Movie Online Full Movie HD 2014
- Getting Good Vibrations with Linux
- Security Hardening with Ansible
- Memory Ordering in Modern Microprocessors, Part I
- New Products
- Putlocker!! Watch Begin Again Online 2014 Streaming Full Movie
- RSS Feeds
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python