Linux Journal Contents #145, May 2006
May 01, 2006 By Staff
Running Sound Applications under Wine
by Dave Phillips
You can make Linux sound better with a little Wine.
by Matthew E. Hoskins
Run Linux on top of Linux? It makes sense. Really.
QEMU: a Multihost, Multitarget Emulator
by Daniel Bartholomew
Can a free virtual system offer what you need?
by Irfan Habib
Xen's unusual approach to virtual systems can give it a speed edge.
Embedded Java with GCJ
by Gene Sally
GCJ may not be for end-user applications, but it's the bomb for embedded systems.
Is Linux Voice over IP Ready?
by Machtelt Garrels
What are the viable VoIP options for Linux and how do they compare?
Manipulating the Network Environment Using RTNETLINK
by Asanga Udugama
Socket to me with the RTNETLINK kernel interface.
Top Ten Tips for Getting Started with PHP
by Marco Fioretti
Want to avoid common pitfalls when getting started with PHP?
Reuven Lerner's At the Forge
Google Web Services
Marcel Gagné's Cooking with Linux
The Virtual Streets of $HOME
Dave Taylor's Work the Shell
Mick Bauer's Paranoid Penguin
Security Features in Debian 3.1
Dee-Ann LeBlanc's Get Your Game On
Playing PlayStation Games in Linux
Jon “maddog” Hall's Beachhead
A Tale from Margaritaville
Doc Searls' Linux for Suits
Linus Takes a Pass on the New GPL Draft
by Doc Searls
Nicholas Petreley's etc/rant
The 64-Bit Question
VMware Workstation 5.5 for Linux Hosts
by Mick Bauer
In Every Issue
Practical books for the most technical people on the planet. Newly available books include:
- Agile Product Development by Ted Schmidt
- Improve Business Processes with an Enterprise Job Scheduler by Mike Diehl
- Finding Your Way: Mapping Your Network to Improve Manageability by Bill Childers
- DIY Commerce Site by Reven Lerner
Plus many more.
- Happy GPL Birthday VLC!
- Download "Linux Management with Red Hat Satellite: Measuring Business Impact and ROI"
- Handheld Emulation: Achievement Unlocked!
- Unikernels, Docker, and Why You Should Care
- Giving Silos Their Due
- Controversy at the Linux Foundation
- Don't Burn Your Android Yet
- Firefox OS
- diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development