Wave Goodbye to E-mail?
Late last year, getting a Google Wave invite was reminiscent of getting a Cabbage Patch Kid in 1983. It was the newest gizmo everyone just had to have. As a geek, I was one of the kids begging the loudest. Thankfully, one of our readers from across the pond (Paul Howard, thanks!) sent me an invite, and I cleared my schedule for the product that was going to change the way I communicate. Only, it didn’t.
I’ll admit, some of the reasons are not Google’s fault. First, off, it wasn’t even in beta yet. I also didn’t really have anything I wanted to communicate with anyone. Even with those two things in mind, I did expect it to be fun to experiment with. Quite frankly, it seemed more cumbersome than helpful.
In watching the demonstrations on the Google Web site, it seems apparent Google Wave was designed to solve some problems we’ve all faced in e-mail. Where I think Google may have gone wrong, however, is in trying to solve a problem with additional technology that really we’ve all learned to manage anyway. Sure, Google Wave allows conversations to take place in one section, so everyone can see what’s going on, but we’ve all solved that years ago with “reply all” and “forward”. Yes, Wave allows for embedded photos, videos and so on, but let’s be honest, we’ve all been attaching files and/or links for years.
Google Wave Screenshot
So what do you think? Am I off-base with my assessment? Is Google Wave changing the way you communicate? If so, I’d love to hear about it. You’ll have to send me an e-mail though (or comment here), because even though I got my Google version of the Cabbage Patch Kid, mine is still in the box.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Linux Kernel News - November 2013
- Advanced Hard Drive Caching Techniques
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- Mars Needs Women
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- Web Administration Scripts
- Linux Systems Administrator
- IBM Will Minimize Impact of Future Disasters
- thanks for share, great
15 hours 53 min ago
- There are factors which are
20 hours 53 min ago
- Gnome 3 ?
21 hours 38 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
1 day 1 hour ago
- "Redis RethinkDB 4.5%" on Best NoSQL Databases
1 day 11 hours ago
- on the ground
1 day 18 hours ago
- I was able to read the whole
1 day 19 hours ago
- since i have read the title i
1 day 23 hours ago
- Belanja Online Cari Voucher Diskon
1 day 23 hours ago
- The kernel doesn't really
2 days 11 hours ago