Tech Tip: Retrieve Disk Info from the Command Line
You can use the following command line tools to retrieve the make and model of your hard drives without the need to open up your system.
First, you need the device names of your disks, for this you can use df or cat /proc/partitions. Example device names are names such as /dev/hda or /dev/sdb. For the following examples, where applicable, I will use /dev/sda as my disk device.
Use the lshw command:
$ lshw -class disk ... -disk:0 product: ST3250310NS vendor: Seagate version: SN04 serial: 9SF0000TH size: 232GiB (250GB)
Use the smartctl command:
$ smartctl -i /dev/sda ... Device Model: ST3250310NS Serial Number: 9SF0000TH Firmware Version: SN04 ...
Note: You may need to install the 'smartmontools' package, your output will vary depending on smartctl version and disk make/model.
Use the hdparm command:
$ hdparm -i /dev/sda /dev/sda: Model=ST3250310NS, FwRev=SN04, SerialNo=9SF0000TH ...
Use the hwinfo command:
$ hwinfo --disk ... Model: "ST3250310NS" Device: "ST3250310NS" Revision: "SN04" Serial ID: "9SF0000TH" ...
Note: You may need to install the 'hwinfo' package.
Note, you will need to be root to get the full output from these commands.
And one additional way that you can determine the model and serial number of your disk:
$ ls /dev/disk/by-id ata-ST3250310NS_9SF0000TH ata-ST3250310NS_9SF0000TH-part1 ata-ST3250310NS_9SF0000TH-part2 ata-ST3250310NS_9SF0000TH-part3
Here the model number is ST3250310NS, and the serial number is 9SF0000TH.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Linux Kernel News - November 2013
- Mars Needs Women
- RSS Feeds
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- Advanced Hard Drive Caching Techniques
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- Web Administration Scripts
- New Products
- on the ground
1 hour 29 min ago
- I was able to read the whole
2 hours 59 min ago
- since i have read the title i
6 hours 19 min ago
- Belanja Online Cari Voucher Diskon
6 hours 24 min ago
- The kernel doesn't really
18 hours 35 min ago
19 hours 6 min ago
19 hours 6 min ago
21 hours 11 min ago
- This should be very helpful
22 hours 25 min ago
- As much as I share your point
1 day 44 min ago