Tech Tip: Getting Your MAC and IP Address In a Script
Ever wanted to get the MAC or IP address of your computer in a Linux shell script? The following two commands should work on most flavours of Linux/Unix.
To get your IP address:
/sbin/ifconfig \ | grep '\<inet\>' \ | sed -n '1p' \ | tr -s ' ' \ | cut -d ' ' -f3 \ | cut -d ':' -f2
To get your MAC address (Hardware address):
/sbin/ifconfig \ | grep 'eth0' \ | tr -s ' ' \ | cut -d ' ' -f5
Note that this retrieves the address of the eth0 interface by default.
Practical books for the most technical people on the planet. Newly available books include:
- Agile Product Development by Ted Schmidt
- Improve Business Processes with an Enterprise Job Scheduler by Mike Diehl
- Finding Your Way: Mapping Your Network to Improve Manageability by Bill Childers
- DIY Commerce Site by Reven Lerner
Plus many more.
- Download "Linux Management with Red Hat Satellite: Measuring Business Impact and ROI"
- Happy GPL Birthday VLC!
- Unikernels, Docker, and Why You Should Care
- Handheld Emulation: Achievement Unlocked!
- Controversy at the Linux Foundation
- Giving Silos Their Due
- Don't Burn Your Android Yet
- Firefox OS
- Wine 1.8 Released