Tech Tip: Getting Your MAC and IP Address In a Script
Ever wanted to get the MAC or IP address of your computer in a Linux shell script? The following two commands should work on most flavours of Linux/Unix.
To get your IP address:
/sbin/ifconfig \ | grep '\<inet\>' \ | sed -n '1p' \ | tr -s ' ' \ | cut -d ' ' -f3 \ | cut -d ':' -f2
To get your MAC address (Hardware address):
/sbin/ifconfig \ | grep 'eth0' \ | tr -s ' ' \ | cut -d ' ' -f5
Note that this retrieves the address of the eth0 interface by default.
- diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development
- Divx# Watch The Other Woman Full HD Online Streaming Viooz
- Numerical Python
- Use Linux as a SAN Provider
- Great Scott! It's Version 13!
- NSA: Linux Journal is an "extremist forum" and its readers get flagged for extra surveillance
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- RSS Feeds
- Adminer—Better Than Awesome!
- Linux Systems Administrator