Tech Tip: Getting Your MAC and IP Address In a Script
Ever wanted to get the MAC or IP address of your computer in a Linux shell script? The following two commands should work on most flavours of Linux/Unix.
To get your IP address:
/sbin/ifconfig \ | grep '\<inet\>' \ | sed -n '1p' \ | tr -s ' ' \ | cut -d ' ' -f3 \ | cut -d ':' -f2
To get your MAC address (Hardware address):
/sbin/ifconfig \ | grep 'eth0' \ | tr -s ' ' \ | cut -d ' ' -f5
Note that this retrieves the address of the eth0 interface by default.
- An Introduction to Tabled Logic Programming with Picat
- Ubuntu MATE, Not Just a Whim
- Build Your Own Raspberry Pi Camera
- Nasdaq Selects Drupal 8
- Non-Linux FOSS: Screenshotting for Fun and Profit!
- Secure Desktops with Qubes: Compartmentalization
- Canonical Ltd.'s Ubuntu Core
- A New Mental Model for Computers and Networks
- Netlist, Inc.'s HybriDIMM Storage Class Memory
- The Peculiar Case of Email in the Cloud