Ruport Book Released
The Ruport Book Project has announced that they’ve begun shipping pre-orders of their book. The primary authors, Gregory Brown and Michale Milner, are core developers of the Ruport reporting system for Ruby as well.
The book has been written in a tremendously open fashion, with Gregory and Michael gathering suggestions, feedback, and even editing through an open mailing list, and making frequent ‘beta’ releases of the book available for download—in fact, you can download free copies of the completed book as well.
I’ve written about different publishing styles before (here, here, here, and here if you’d like to go and look at them), but these guys are really pushing toward the edges of a community driven, boutique/self-publishing model.
From the looking that I’ve done, this looks like an excellent book. If you’re interested in reporting with Ruby, or you just want to support this kind of effort, you can always pick up a copy from LuLu.com.
-- -pate http://on-ruby.blogspot.com
|August 2014 Issue of Linux Journal: Programming||Aug 01, 2014|
|August 2014 Video Preview||Aug 01, 2014|
|Open-Source Space||Jul 31, 2014|
|Silicon Mechanics Gives Back||Jul 30, 2014|
|Reglue: Opening Up the World to Deserving Kids, One Linux Computer at a Time||Jul 29, 2014|
|diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development||Jul 23, 2014|
- August 2014 Issue of Linux Journal: Programming
- Open-Source Space
- Numerical Python
- Reglue: Opening Up the World to Deserving Kids, One Linux Computer at a Time
- Silicon Mechanics Gives Back
- Download "Private PaaS for the Agile Enterprise"
- Download "Linux Management with Red Hat Satellite: Measuring Business Impact and ROI"
- Cooking with Linux - Serious Cool, Sysadmin Style!
- New Storage Solution is Music to the Ears of Fast-Growing Digital Music Company
- diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development