List Open Files
If you try to unmount a partition and get a message like this:
# umount /media/usbdisk/ umount: /media/usbdisk: device is busy
use the lsof command to find out what programs are using what files:
# lsof /media/usbdisk/ COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE NODE NAME bash 6925 root cwd DIR 8,17 4096 1 /media/usbdisk/ xmms 6979 root cwd DIR 8,17 4096 1 /media/usbdisk/
This shows that the programs bash and xmms are using the device. For an even clearer picture, use the device name rather than the mountpoint:
# lsof /dev/sdb1 COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE NODE NAME bash 6925 root cwd DIR 8,17 4096 1 /media/usbdisk xmms 6979 root cwd DIR 8,17 4096 1 /media/usbdisk xmms 6979 root 8r REG 8,17 2713101 377 /media/usbdisk/a.mp3
You either can wait until those processes exit or terminate them manually.
- diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development
- Divx# Watch The Other Woman Full HD Online Streaming Viooz
- Numerical Python
- Great Scott! It's Version 13!
- Use Linux as a SAN Provider
- RSS Feeds
- NSA: Linux Journal is an "extremist forum" and its readers get flagged for extra surveillance
- Adminer—Better Than Awesome!
- It Actually Is Rocket Science
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python