Google Adjusts WebM License
When Google announced the initial release of WebM — its collaborative drive to create a new open video format for HTML5 — there was much excitement within the Open Source community. Amid the excitement, however, was concern about the project's licensing, concern that quickly led to calls for change.
On Friday, Google announced that, in response to the community's concerns, a "small change" was made to WebM's license, restoring the "pure BSD nature" of the license as well as GPL compatibility. The change modifies the license's patent clause to reflect the GPL3 and Apache patent clauses, which separate rights to patents from rights to copyright. Under the original license, anyone bringing patent litigation against Google would have surrendered all rights granted by the license — the new language clarifies that only patent rights would be terminated, the same penalty incurred under the GPL3 and Apache licenses.
Google's Open Source Programs Manager Chris DiBona noted that in making the change, the company has avoided creating a new Open Source license, a practice which many consider harmful to Open Source in general. Additionally, Google updated other portions of the license and supporting documentation to clarify the license terms and the rights granted under it.
Justin Ryan is a Contributing Editor for Linux Journal.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- IBM Will Minimize Impact of Future Disasters
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- RSS Feeds
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Linux Systems Administrator
- Senior Perl Developer
- New Products
- Command Line Shells (Bash, Zsh, etc.) are 2nd place
9 min 51 sec ago
2 hours 4 min ago
- yes it's Jupiter Broadcasting
3 hours 24 min ago
- nice to see PClinuxOS finally
5 hours 57 min ago
- Personally, I am no longer a
6 hours 54 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
20 hours 19 min ago
- It's Jupiter
21 hours 19 min ago
- GIMP is certainly a graphic
22 hours 21 min ago
- Thanks For Your Sharing
1 day 3 hours ago
- Studying linux, and looking
1 day 6 hours ago