Google Adjusts WebM License
When Google announced the initial release of WebM — its collaborative drive to create a new open video format for HTML5 — there was much excitement within the Open Source community. Amid the excitement, however, was concern about the project's licensing, concern that quickly led to calls for change.
On Friday, Google announced that, in response to the community's concerns, a "small change" was made to WebM's license, restoring the "pure BSD nature" of the license as well as GPL compatibility. The change modifies the license's patent clause to reflect the GPL3 and Apache patent clauses, which separate rights to patents from rights to copyright. Under the original license, anyone bringing patent litigation against Google would have surrendered all rights granted by the license — the new language clarifies that only patent rights would be terminated, the same penalty incurred under the GPL3 and Apache licenses.
Google's Open Source Programs Manager Chris DiBona noted that in making the change, the company has avoided creating a new Open Source license, a practice which many consider harmful to Open Source in general. Additionally, Google updated other portions of the license and supporting documentation to clarify the license terms and the rights granted under it.
Justin Ryan is a Contributing Editor for Linux Journal.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Linux Kernel News - November 2013
- Mars Needs Women
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- RSS Feeds
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- IBM Will Minimize Impact of Future Disasters
- Linux Systems Administrator
- The kernel doesn't really
4 hours 44 min ago
5 hours 15 min ago
5 hours 15 min ago
7 hours 20 min ago
- This should be very helpful
8 hours 33 min ago
- As much as I share your point
10 hours 53 min ago
- So girls had it better ?
14 hours 25 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
14 hours 45 min ago
- why is GNOME 3 in the fifth position at 14.1 %?
20 hours 17 min ago
- Sublime Is Brilliant!
1 day 1 hour ago