If you are an Ubuntu user and a fan of the new Unity interface, you might be interested in a new lens in development by David Callé. The Books Lens provides a real-time search interface for e-books. It currently interfaces with Google Books, Project Gutenberg and Forgotten Books. By the time you read this, that list probably will have grown.
The Books Lens instantly finds metadata on your search, including book covers, and gives you direct links to the books themselves. For us book nerds, it's quite a handy little tool. Check it out yourself at https://launchpad.net/unity-books-lens, or install the PPA with:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:davidc3/books-lens
Then, install the package unity-books-lens.
This screenshot, from the project page, shows the search results for "Dora".
Practical books for the most technical people on the planet. Newly available books include:
- Agile Product Development by Ted Schmidt
- Improve Business Processes with an Enterprise Job Scheduler by Mike Diehl
- Finding Your Way: Mapping Your Network to Improve Manageability by Bill Childers
- DIY Commerce Site by Reven Lerner
Plus many more.
- Happy GPL Birthday VLC!
- Handheld Emulation: Achievement Unlocked!
- Download "Linux Management with Red Hat Satellite: Measuring Business Impact and ROI"
- Unikernels, Docker, and Why You Should Care
- Giving Silos Their Due
- Controversy at the Linux Foundation
- New Products
- Don't Burn Your Android Yet
- Non-Linux FOSS: Snk
- Firefox OS