Linux in Government: Optimizing Desktop Performance, Part III
The subject of loading Linux services and the initialization process demands experience and knowledge that many desktop users do not possess. If you venture into disabling services you deem unnecessary, I strongly suggest that you subscribe to a newsgroup or forum dedicated to your distribution--you probably will need support.
On the other hand, you might find that you have a knack for Linux operating system internals. If so, explore the subject on-line by searching for Linux documentation. Linux provides fascinating technology you could not learn about with proprietary systems. Many different points of view exist on just about every subject concerning Linux technology. If you have the desire to know more about what makes your computer tick, the opportunity awaits.
Tom Adelstein is a Principal of Hiser + Adelstein, an open-source company headquartered in New York City. He's the co-author of the book Exploring the JDS Linux Desktop and author of an upcoming book on Linux system administration to be published by O'Reilly. Tom has been consulting and writing articles and books about Linux since early 1999.
|A Project to Guarantee Better Security for Open-Source Projects||Aug 27, 2015|
|Concerning Containers' Connections: on Docker Networking||Aug 26, 2015|
|My Network Go-Bag||Aug 24, 2015|
|Doing Astronomy with Python||Aug 19, 2015|
|Build a “Virtual SuperComputer” with Process Virtualization||Aug 18, 2015|
|Firefox Security Exploit Targets Linux Users and Web Developers||Aug 17, 2015|
- A Project to Guarantee Better Security for Open-Source Projects
- Concerning Containers' Connections: on Docker Networking
- Problems with Ubuntu's Software Center and How Canonical Plans to Fix Them
- My Network Go-Bag
- Firefox Security Exploit Targets Linux Users and Web Developers
- Doing Astronomy with Python
- Build a “Virtual SuperComputer” with Process Virtualization
- diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development
- Three More Lessons
- August 2015 Issue of Linux Journal: Programming