Reading File Metadata with extract and libextractor
Listing 8. jpegextractor.c adds the MIME type to the list after parsing the file header.
if ( (data != 0xFF) || (data != 0xD8) ) return prev; /* not a JPEG */ addKeyword(&prev, strdup("image/jpeg"), EXTRACTOR_MIMETYPE); /* ... more parsing code here ... */ return prev;
libextractor is a simple extensible C library for obtaining metadata from documents. Its plugin architecture and broad support for formats set it apart from format-specific tools. The design is limited by the fact that libextractor cannot be used to update metadata, which more specialized tools typically support.
Resources for this article: /article/8207.
Christian Grothoff graduated from the University of Wuppertal in 2000 with a degree in mathematics. He currently is a PhD student in computer science at Purdue University, studying static program analysis and secure peer-to-peer networking. A Linux user since 1995, he has contributed to various free software projects and now is the maintainer of GNUnet and a member of the core team for libextractor. His home page can be found at grothoff.org/christian.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Linux Kernel News - November 2013
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Mars Needs Women
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- RSS Feeds
- Advanced Hard Drive Caching Techniques
- Web Administration Scripts
- New Products
- thanks for share, great
10 hours 22 min ago
- There are factors which are
15 hours 22 min ago
- Gnome 3 ?
16 hours 7 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
20 hours 14 min ago
- "Redis RethinkDB 4.5%" on Best NoSQL Databases
1 day 6 hours ago
- on the ground
1 day 12 hours ago
- I was able to read the whole
1 day 14 hours ago
- since i have read the title i
1 day 17 hours ago
- Belanja Online Cari Voucher Diskon
1 day 17 hours ago
- The kernel doesn't really
2 days 5 hours ago