Hack and / - Lightning Hacks—the Command Next Door
The problem with powerful server hardware is that it always takes a little time to reboot. Often when I have to reboot a server, I want to know the moment it comes back up, because I want to log back in and finish some work. Usually when I reboot a machine, I start a ping process, so I can watch to see when it is available. The problem is that servers seem to take just long enough to come back up that I end up getting distracted in another window on my desktop and don't see the ping replies. My solution to this is to make ping audible:
$ ping -a 10.0.1.7
When you pass the -a command to ping, it generates an audible bell for every ping reply. I get to hear a few system beeps as the server goes down, and then I hear only silence. If I do become distracted and the server comes back, I immediately start hearing this annoying system beep in my ear and know the server is ready.
Kyle Rankin is a Systems Architect in the San Francisco Bay Area and the author of a number of books, including The Official Ubuntu Server Book, Knoppix Hacks and Ubuntu Hacks. He is currently the president of the North Bay Linux Users' Group.
Kyle Rankin is a VP of engineering operations at Final, Inc., the author of a number of books including DevOps Troubleshooting and The Official Ubuntu Server Book, and is a columnist for Linux Journal. Follow him @kylerankin.
Practical books for the most technical people on the planet. Newly available books include:
- Agile Product Development by Ted Schmidt
- Improve Business Processes with an Enterprise Job Scheduler by Mike Diehl
- Finding Your Way: Mapping Your Network to Improve Manageability by Bill Childers
- DIY Commerce Site by Reven Lerner
Plus many more.
- Building a Multisourced Infrastructure Using OpenVPN
- Happy GPL Birthday VLC!
- Unikernels, Docker, and Why You Should Care
- diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development
- What's New in 3D Printing, Part III: the Software
- Giving Silos Their Due
- Controversy at the Linux Foundation
- Don't Burn Your Android Yet
- Non-Linux FOSS: Snk
- Firefox OS