- The Linux Hardware Compatibility HOWTO lists most of the hardware known to be either supported or unsupported under Linux.
Laptops and mobile devices
- Linux on Laptops: full installation notes for hundreds of laptop and notebook computers.
- tuxmobil.org: Linux With Laptops, Notebooks, PDAs and Mobile Cell Phones. Start here for information on getting a net connection with your mobile phone.
Distribution hardware support lists
Your distribution's list is the best way to tell if a piece of hardware will work when you first install Linux. Products listed on other hardware support lists may require manual configuration or a software upgrade.
- Gentoo Hardware Compatibility
- Linspire Hardware Compatibility
- Mandriva Hardware Compatibility
- MEPIS Hardware Compatibility
- PCLinuxOS Hardware Compatibility
- Red Hat Certified Hardware
- SUSE Linux Hardware Database
- Turbolinux Hardware Compatibility
- Ubuntu Hardware Support
- ALSA Soundcard Matrix: the big list of what sound hardware works "out of the box" with recent versions of Linux.
Fast/Flexible Linux OS Recovery
On Demand Now
In this live one-hour webinar, learn how to enhance your existing backup strategies for complete disaster recovery preparedness using Storix System Backup Administrator (SBAdmin), a highly flexible full-system recovery solution for UNIX and Linux systems.
Join Linux Journal's Shawn Powers and David Huffman, President/CEO, Storix, Inc.
Free to Linux Journal readers.Register Now!
- The Humble Hacker?
- Server Hardening
- Download "Linux Management with Red Hat Satellite: Measuring Business Impact and ROI"
- The Death of RoboVM
- EnterpriseDB's EDB Postgres Advanced Server and EDB Postgres Enterprise Manager
- The US Government and Open-Source Software
- ACI Worldwide's UP Retail Payments
- Open-Source Project Secretly Funded by CIA
- Varnish Software's Hitch
- New Container Image Standard Promises More Portable Apps
In modern computer systems, privacy and security are mandatory. However, connections from the outside over public networks automatically imply risks. One easily available solution to avoid eavesdroppers’ attempts is SSH. But, its wide adoption during the past 21 years has made it a target for attackers, so hardening your system properly is a must.
Additionally, in highly regulated markets, you must comply with specific operational requirements, proving that you conform to standards and even that you have included new mandatory authentication methods, such as two-factor authentication. In this ebook, I discuss SSH and how to configure and manage it to guarantee that your network is safe, your data is secure and that you comply with relevant regulations.Get the Guide