Got my OLPC machine yesterday
Way back in November, I jumped at the chance to get one of the OLPC machines. For a small contribution and some waiting time, I would get my very own OLPC laptop (yes, I know that is redundant).
So, I cracked it out of the box and fired it up (like any geek) and here is what I have found:
1) I did not get one with a power crank :-( Mine has a wall wart (in a bright green colour).
2) The keyboard is SMALL. Now I am not talking about Palm or Blackberry small, but it is SMALL. Smaller than the Happy Hacking keyboard and the keys are ruggedized, so they are a little tricky to work. Still, I expect I will get used to them.
3) It only has a gig of "disk" which I suspect is actually solid state. Of course, it also has three USB ports and an SD RAM slot, so that should not be much of an issue.
4) The version of Linux on it is custom but RPM based.
5) It has cute graphics, but also has a full terminal.
6) It has what looks like a full colour screen, but works mainly in black and white when you are not actually using something in colour (battery reasons maybe?
It has cute little "bunny" ears for wi-fi that also act as the catches to keep the screen closed, and the screen is on a full swivel (it has to be to get at the SD slot).
I have not gotten the wi-fi configured yet and it does not have any other network connection. I do not think it is a touch screen but I have to tinker around with that.
I will keep you updated as I play with it more. Feel free to shoot your questions over and I will answer as best I can!
David A. Lane is a Linux Journal Reader Advisory Panelist.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- The Geek's Guide to the Coolest 2013 Holiday Gifts
- New Products
- Two Pi R
- Non-Linux FOSS: Let's Make Music Together
- Best. Cake. Ever.
- A Handy U-Boot Trick
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- AIDE—Developing for Android on Android
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
3 hours 30 min ago
19 hours 36 min ago
- Thanks for clearing that up.
1 day 1 hour ago
- Nice coding on the cake. I
1 day 12 hours ago
- Baker's identity
1 day 17 hours ago
- Uber jealous
1 day 22 hours ago
- Reality is disapointing
2 days 8 hours ago
- Máy sấy quần áo
2 days 11 hours ago
- Services on GlusterFS
2 days 11 hours ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
2 days 13 hours ago