Marin County Still Porn Central
Despite severing their ties with a security-challenged web host, Marin County, California's web site is still experiencing problems with porn. Links to pornographic sites and malware were discovered on the county's Transportation Authority website in early October, and reappeared periodically throughout November and into December.
The web host — Phoenix-based StartLogic — was accused of failing to properly secure servers, resulting in hackers accessing government websites and planting links to malicious websites. The discovery prompted California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger to shut down all government websites and email systems, in California on October 3rd.
Officials have linked the recurring problems to a DNS error, which directed visitors to the old pages hosted by StartLogic instead of "under construction" pages hosted by the county's new provider.
Justin Ryan is a Contributing Editor for Linux Journal.
Practical books for the most technical people on the planet. Newly available books include:
- Agile Product Development by Ted Schmidt
- Improve Business Processes with an Enterprise Job Scheduler by Mike Diehl
- Finding Your Way: Mapping Your Network to Improve Manageability by Bill Childers
- DIY Commerce Site by Reven Lerner
Plus many more.
- Download "Linux Management with Red Hat Satellite: Measuring Business Impact and ROI"
- Happy GPL Birthday VLC!
- Unikernels, Docker, and Why You Should Care
- Handheld Emulation: Achievement Unlocked!
- Controversy at the Linux Foundation
- Giving Silos Their Due
- Don't Burn Your Android Yet
- Firefox OS
- Wine 1.8 Released