Marin County Still Porn Central
Despite severing their ties with a security-challenged web host, Marin County, California's web site is still experiencing problems with porn. Links to pornographic sites and malware were discovered on the county's Transportation Authority website in early October, and reappeared periodically throughout November and into December.
The web host — Phoenix-based StartLogic — was accused of failing to properly secure servers, resulting in hackers accessing government websites and planting links to malicious websites. The discovery prompted California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger to shut down all government websites and email systems, in California on October 3rd.
Officials have linked the recurring problems to a DNS error, which directed visitors to the old pages hosted by StartLogic instead of "under construction" pages hosted by the county's new provider.
Justin Ryan is a Contributing Editor for Linux Journal.
- An Introduction to Tabled Logic Programming with Picat
- Ubuntu MATE, Not Just a Whim
- Build Your Own Raspberry Pi Camera
- Non-Linux FOSS: Screenshotting for Fun and Profit!
- Nasdaq Selects Drupal 8
- Secure Desktops with Qubes: Compartmentalization
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Download "Linux Management with Red Hat Satellite: Measuring Business Impact and ROI"
- The Peculiar Case of Email in the Cloud
- Linux Journal October 2016