Marin County Still Porn Central
Despite severing their ties with a security-challenged web host, Marin County, California's web site is still experiencing problems with porn. Links to pornographic sites and malware were discovered on the county's Transportation Authority website in early October, and reappeared periodically throughout November and into December.
The web host — Phoenix-based StartLogic — was accused of failing to properly secure servers, resulting in hackers accessing government websites and planting links to malicious websites. The discovery prompted California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger to shut down all government websites and email systems, in California on October 3rd.
Officials have linked the recurring problems to a DNS error, which directed visitors to the old pages hosted by StartLogic instead of "under construction" pages hosted by the county's new provider.
Justin Ryan is a Contributing Editor for Linux Journal.
Win an iPhone 6
Enter to Win
|Microsoft and Linux: True Romance or Toxic Love?||Nov 25, 2015|
|Non-Linux FOSS: Install Windows? Yeah, Open Source Can Do That.||Nov 24, 2015|
|Cipher Security: How to harden TLS and SSH||Nov 23, 2015|
|Web Stores Held Hostage||Nov 19, 2015|
|diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development||Nov 17, 2015|
|Recipy for Science||Nov 16, 2015|
- Microsoft and Linux: True Romance or Toxic Love?
- Cipher Security: How to harden TLS and SSH
- Non-Linux FOSS: Install Windows? Yeah, Open Source Can Do That.
- Web Stores Held Hostage
- PuppetLabs Introduces Application Orchestration
- Firefox's New Feature for Tighter Security
- diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development
- November 2015 Issue of Linux Journal: System Administration
- It's a Bird. It's Another Bird!
- IBM LinuxONE Provides New Options for Linux Deployment