Marin County Still Porn Central
Despite severing their ties with a security-challenged web host, Marin County, California's web site is still experiencing problems with porn. Links to pornographic sites and malware were discovered on the county's Transportation Authority website in early October, and reappeared periodically throughout November and into December.
The web host — Phoenix-based StartLogic — was accused of failing to properly secure servers, resulting in hackers accessing government websites and planting links to malicious websites. The discovery prompted California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger to shut down all government websites and email systems, in California on October 3rd.
Officials have linked the recurring problems to a DNS error, which directed visitors to the old pages hosted by StartLogic instead of "under construction" pages hosted by the county's new provider.
Justin Ryan is a Contributing Editor for Linux Journal.
One Click, Universal Protection: Implementing Centralized Security Policies on Linux Systems
Join editor Bill Childers and Bit9's Paul Riegle on April 27 at 12pm Central to learn how to keep your Linux systems secure.
Free to Linux Journal readers.Register Now!
|diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development||Aug 20, 2014|
|Security Hardening with Ansible||Aug 18, 2014|
|Monitoring Android Traffic with Wireshark||Aug 14, 2014|
|IndieBox: for Gamers Who Miss Boxes!||Aug 13, 2014|
|Non-Linux FOSS: a Virtualized Cisco Infrastructure?||Aug 11, 2014|
|Linux Security Threats on the Rise||Aug 08, 2014|
- diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development
- NSA: Linux Journal is an "extremist forum" and its readers get flagged for extra surveillance
- Security Hardening with Ansible
- New Products
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Monitoring Android Traffic with Wireshark
- [<Megashare>] Watch Mrs Brown's Boys Movie Online Full Movie HD 2014
- Returning Values from Bash Functions
- RSS Feeds
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server