Marin County Still Porn Central
Despite severing their ties with a security-challenged web host, Marin County, California's web site is still experiencing problems with porn. Links to pornographic sites and malware were discovered on the county's Transportation Authority website in early October, and reappeared periodically throughout November and into December.
The web host — Phoenix-based StartLogic — was accused of failing to properly secure servers, resulting in hackers accessing government websites and planting links to malicious websites. The discovery prompted California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger to shut down all government websites and email systems, in California on October 3rd.
Officials have linked the recurring problems to a DNS error, which directed visitors to the old pages hosted by StartLogic instead of "under construction" pages hosted by the county's new provider.
Justin Ryan is a Contributing Editor for Linux Journal.
|Reglue: Opening Up the World to Deserving Kids, One Linux Computer at a Time||Jul 29, 2014|
|diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development||Jul 23, 2014|
|Great Scott! It's Version 13!||Jul 21, 2014|
|Adminer—Better Than Awesome!||Jul 17, 2014|
|It Actually Is Rocket Science||Jul 16, 2014|
|Android Candy: Repix, Not Just Another Photo App||Jul 14, 2014|
- Reglue: Opening Up the World to Deserving Kids, One Linux Computer at a Time
- Numerical Python
- Download "Linux Management with Red Hat Satellite: Measuring Business Impact and ROI"
- NSA: Linux Journal is an "extremist forum" and its readers get flagged for extra surveillance
- diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development
- RSS Feeds
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Linux Systems Administrator
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Senior Perl Developer