I was just asked to run for a position on the board of directors for an organization of Technology Directors in Michigan. Being on the MAEDS board would be a great honor and all, but it reminds me that as Linux users, we are part of a diverse group of technology users.
In my peer group of educational technology folks, I'm known as, "The Linux Guy." Yeah, I know, pretty cool. I have to remind myself, however, that Pro-Linux is not the same as Anti-Microsoft. True confession? I use Mac OSX more often than I use Linux. It's what my job requires, and honestly, it fills a need very well. Granted, part of the reason I use OSX more often is because my Linux infrastructure needs less maintenance, but we all already know that.
So my point? It's easy to get angry and bitter in the face of companies like Apple and Microsoft. It's easy to trash talk the opposition, because let's face it, Linux is better at so much stuff!!! Like the old adage, "You catch more flies with honey," however, we need to remember to point out the strengths of Open Source software, not the weaknesses of others.
Oh, and vote for Shawn. ;o)
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Linux Kernel News - November 2013
- Mars Needs Women
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- RSS Feeds
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- Advanced Hard Drive Caching Techniques
- Web Administration Scripts
- IBM Will Minimize Impact of Future Disasters
- thanks for share, great
4 hours 17 min ago
- There are factors which are
9 hours 17 min ago
- Gnome 3 ?
10 hours 2 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
14 hours 9 min ago
- "Redis RethinkDB 4.5%" on Best NoSQL Databases
1 day 15 min ago
- on the ground
1 day 6 hours ago
- I was able to read the whole
1 day 8 hours ago
- since i have read the title i
1 day 11 hours ago
- Belanja Online Cari Voucher Diskon
1 day 11 hours ago
- The kernel doesn't really
1 day 23 hours ago