What editor do you use?
Tim Bray recently posted the results of his Developer Tool Survey (although, I think it was really an editor/IDE survey). He asked Ruby and Rails developers about what kind of development they do (primarily Ruby or primarily Rails), and which editor/IDE they use. While the survey was not very scientific (and raised the ire of a number of ‘old school’ rubyists because of the phrasing of some of the questions) it does provide some interesting information:
- Text-mate was the clear favorite overall and among the Rails leaning contigent (which reflects the general Mac bias in the Ruby community), although VI editors have about the same number of users on the ‘pure’ Ruby side of the house.
- Text editors are still1 the clear winner (vs. IDEs) among Rubyists, capturing almost 65% of the overall user base.
- Among IDEs, NetBeans and Eclipse are the only ones with triple digit users (or double digit percentages).
The survey didn’t address a couple of things that have come up on the ruby-talk mailing list. Perhaps a future survey might look into things like:
- How are people using refactoring tools, and which ones?
- Test-unit vs. RSpec use (and the use of RSpec Story Runners)
- What debugging tools are people using
- What code coverage (and related) tools are people using
While the survey is not without flaws, it’s always interesting to look at your community from a different angle. Thanks Tim for putting this together, I’ll look forward to see what else people start asking about.
1 Tim Bray and I talked a bit about the percieved lack of ‘advanced developer tools’ (read IDEs) a while ago.
- Two Pi R
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- AIDE—Developing for Android on Android
- A Handy U-Boot Trick
- The Geek's Guide to the Coolest 2013 Holiday Gifts
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- RSS Feeds
- Linux Systems Administrator
- Reality is disapointing
7 hours 45 min ago
- Máy sấy quần áo
10 hours 31 min ago
- Services on GlusterFS
10 hours 41 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
12 hours 21 min ago
- Definitely cool stuff here
13 hours 23 min ago
- thanks for the information
14 hours 34 min ago
- nice information thanks
15 hours 12 min ago
18 hours 8 min ago
- The lost opportunity of security
1 day 5 hours ago
- Andhra Pradesh has a variety
1 day 9 hours ago