Making Music With Your Keyboard
It is extremely easy to get a tiny little keyboard to generate melody in your Linux box. In fact, you can play hundreds of instruments.
Here's how I did it in my Fedora Core 6 and 7 laptops:
1. timidity++ - This can turn MIDI into audio (a synthesizer)
2. vkeybd - A virtual keyboard for your X desktop.
To install in Fedora Core 6 or 7, just type the following command:
# yum -y install timidity++ vkeybd
Start timidity (and connect to ALSA). Note that in Fedora 7, I had to type esd in another terminal before the following command:
1. $ timidity -iA 2. Start vkeybd: $ vkeybd 3. Join the keyboard output and the synthesizer input together. Identify the correct client and port numbers of the keyboard and the synthesizer (TiMidity): $ cat /proc/asound/seq/clients 4. Join them together (arguments should be in correct order - source first). $ aconnect 129:0 128:0
Now you can play. To change the instrument, see the Virtual Keyboard options (View->Program List). If required, increase the volume by using timidity option -An (e.g.: $ timidity -A300 -iA). timidity and vkeybd have many other options to get different behaviors. See the manual pages for details.
This Tech Tip comes from Kamal in Sri Lanka. Thanks, Kamal!
Instant fame is easy at Linux Journal. Just send us your useful Tech Tips to share with the Linux Community, and we'll send you a cool t-shirt for your efforts!
Please note: Tech Tips featured in this specific section of LinuxJournal.com are kindly brought to us by readers and are not necessarily tested by LinuxJournal.com editors.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- IBM Will Minimize Impact of Future Disasters
- Mars Needs Women
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- RSS Feeds
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Linux Systems Administrator
- Senior Perl Developer
- Mixtapes Community
1 hour 10 min ago
- KDE is one true DE
1 hour 45 min ago
- Command Line Shells (Bash, Zsh, etc.) are 2nd place
2 hours 13 min ago
4 hours 8 min ago
- yes it's Jupiter Broadcasting
5 hours 28 min ago
- nice to see PClinuxOS finally
8 hours 1 min ago
- Personally, I am no longer a
8 hours 58 min ago
- It's Jupiter
23 hours 23 min ago
- GIMP is certainly a graphic
1 day 25 min ago
- Thanks For Your Sharing
1 day 5 hours ago