Mike and Tux, sitting in a tree...
Michael Dell Runs Ubuntu, Jim Thompson reports. Sure 'nuff:
The key excerpt...
Comes now an interesting announcement, of sorts, on the Dell website:
Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn
VMWare Workstation 6 Beta
Evolution Groupware 2.10
note that the M90 model is not listed on the "all Dell Notebooks" page, nor on the
"Dell Open-Source Notebooks" page. but it does appear here.
People swore that Dell would never ship anything but Intel CPUs and Microsoft software. The AMD CPUs appeared last year, looks like Microsoft isn't going steady with Dell anymore, either. Conspicious by its absence is Windows Vista, according to the website, Mr. Dell doesn't run Vista on ANY of his machines.
How much and now soon will the details change in the Michael's Computers frame on the executive bio page? (If at all?) Place your bets.
Meanwhile, here's some good advice for Dell and all the other hardware system makers out there.
And here's Jim's earlier called-it-right post on the matter of Dell and Linux.
Doc Searls is Senior Editor of Linux Journal
Webinar: 8 Signs You’re Beyond Cron
On Demand NOW
|Non-Linux FOSS: Vienna, Not Just for Sausages||Jun 02, 2015|
|June 2015 Issue of Linux Journal: Networking||Jun 01, 2015|
|June 2015 Video Preview||Jun 01, 2015|
|My Humble Little Game Collection||May 28, 2015|
|New Linux Based OS Brings Internet of Things Closer to Reality||May 27, 2015|
|Non-Linux FOSS: All the Bitcoin, None of the Bloat||May 26, 2015|
- June 2015 Issue of Linux Journal: Networking
- New Linux Based OS Brings Internet of Things Closer to Reality
- Download "Linux in the Time of Malware"
- Initializing and Managing Services in Linux: Past, Present and Future
- Dr Hjkl on the Command Line
- Using Hiera with Puppet
- My Humble Little Game Collection
- Gartner Dubs DivvyCloud Cool Cloud Management Vendor
- Infinite BusyBox with systemd
- Goodbye, Pi. Hello, C.H.I.P.