"Rubinius is a project to watch", so says Charles Nutter in his post Rite, Rubinius, and Everything — I think he's right. Evan is hard at work making things work better in rubinius. He's now got continuations working (I think this makes him the first alternative implementation of Ruby to do so), and says he should have serializable continuations soon (see his post on it here). W00t!
A lot of this progress, Evan's and others, is getting better visibility (and is having a better chance to affect other implementations) because of the recent implementers summit at RubyConf; see coverage here (on-ruby.blogspot.com) or here (blog.nicksieger.com) or over here (www.tbray.com).
The most important outcome of the summit is the summit is that it's generated a number of ongoing discussions among the various implementers. One of thing that this is going to do is prevent the splintering of Ruby (www.infoq.com) that some people are predicting.
Two more big wins are the revivification of the RubySpec project and the RubyTests project. The first is an attempt to build a complete Ruby 1.8 specification that all the implementations can build against. The second is a unified (light-weight) test suite that all the implementations can use to verify that they're really Ruby.
Cool things just keep happening, and I can't wait to see what the next six months old for Ruby and all the little rubies that are popping up.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Linux Kernel News - November 2013
- Mars Needs Women
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- RSS Feeds
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- Advanced Hard Drive Caching Techniques
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Web Administration Scripts
- New Products
- on the ground
3 hours 31 min ago
- I was able to read the whole
5 hours 20 sec ago
- since i have read the title i
8 hours 20 min ago
- Belanja Online Cari Voucher Diskon
8 hours 25 min ago
- The kernel doesn't really
20 hours 36 min ago
21 hours 7 min ago
21 hours 7 min ago
23 hours 12 min ago
- This should be very helpful
1 day 26 min ago
- As much as I share your point
1 day 2 hours ago