Point/Counterpoint - /opt vs. /usr/local
Should a sysadmin put additional software in /usr/local or /opt? Bill and Kyle argue the one true location for third-party software.
Kyle Rankin is a systems architect; and the author of DevOps Troubleshooting, The Official Ubuntu Server Book, Knoppix Hacks, Knoppix Pocket Reference, Linux Multimedia Hacks, and Ubuntu Hacks.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Mars Needs Women
- RSS Feeds
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- IBM Will Minimize Impact of Future Disasters
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Linux Systems Administrator
- Senior Perl Developer
- This should be very helpful
55 min 5 sec ago
- As much as I share your point
3 hours 14 min ago
- So girls had it better ?
6 hours 46 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
7 hours 6 min ago
- why is GNOME 3 in the fifth position at 14.1 %?
12 hours 38 min ago
- Sublime Is Brilliant!
17 hours 41 min ago
18 hours 1 min ago
- Rapid[Disk,Cache] better than native ram caching?
18 hours 26 min ago
- Nothing is perfect
18 hours 39 min ago
- Mixtapes Community
1 day 18 min ago