Point/Counterpoint - /opt vs. /usr/local
Should a sysadmin put additional software in /usr/local or /opt? Bill and Kyle argue the one true location for third-party software.
Kyle Rankin is a director of engineering operations in the San Francisco Bay Area, the author of a number of books including DevOps Troubleshooting and The Official Ubuntu Server Book, and is a columnist for Linux Journal.
- Readers' Choice Awards--Nominate Your Apps & Gadgets Now!
- Memory Ordering in Modern Microprocessors, Part I
- Source Code Scanners for Better Code
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development
- RSS Feeds
- Non-Linux FOSS: AutoHotkey
- Returning Values from Bash Functions
- Security Hardening with Ansible