Point/Counterpoint - /opt vs. /usr/local
Should a sysadmin put additional software in /usr/local or /opt? Bill and Kyle argue the one true location for third-party software.
Kyle Rankin is a systems architect; and the author of DevOps Troubleshooting, The Official Ubuntu Server Book, Knoppix Hacks, Knoppix Pocket Reference, Linux Multimedia Hacks, and Ubuntu Hacks.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Mars Needs Women
- RSS Feeds
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- New Products
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- IBM Will Minimize Impact of Future Disasters
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- Linux Systems Administrator
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- why is GNOME 3 in the fifth position at 14.1 %?
1 hour 54 min ago
- Sublime Is Brilliant!
6 hours 57 min ago
7 hours 16 min ago
- Rapid[Disk,Cache] better than native ram caching?
7 hours 41 min ago
- Nothing is perfect
7 hours 55 min ago
- Mixtapes Community
13 hours 33 min ago
- KDE is one true DE
14 hours 8 min ago
- Command Line Shells (Bash, Zsh, etc.) are 2nd place
14 hours 36 min ago
16 hours 31 min ago
- yes it's Jupiter Broadcasting
17 hours 51 min ago