OOo Off-the-Wall: Back to School with Bibliographies
Broadly speaking, bibliographies are structured in the same way as other indexes and tables. The major differences are that more code buttons are available for bibliographies and a sorting order is available.
To structure a bibliography:
1. Do one of the following:
If you are creating a new bibliography, select Insert > Indexes and Tables > Indexes and Tables > Entries.
If you are editing an existing bibliography, select Edit Index/Table from its right-click index. Then, select the Entries tab.
In either case, the Insert Index/Table screen opens.
2. Set the title for the bibliography.
Tip: You may want to re-title the bibliography Works Cited if you are using the MLA style or Reference List if you are using the APA style--or if you simply prefer these alternatives.
3. Select the type of bibliography item from the Type pane. The types include five User-Defined items.
4. If you haven't already, begin structuring the entry (or entries) by selecting code buttons from the drop-down list below and to the left of the structure line. (see below)
Tip: The structure line can be confusing at first. The easiest way to design the entry is to delete everything and then add the building blocks in the order that you want.
For each code button, you can set the character style from the list of pre-defined styles.
5. Select the sort order for entries. Bibliography entries can be sorted by Document position, the order in which they appear in the document, or by Content, alphanumeric order.
If Content is chosen for the sort order, then you also can choose up to three sorting keys. The options for sorting keys are the same as for code buttons.
You also can select whether, within the key, entries are sorted in ascending (A-Z, 1-9) or descending order (Z-A, 9-1) by selecting one of the two buttons beside each key.
If no key is selected, entries are sorted in the order in which they appear in the bibliography's data source.
6. Once you have structured the entries, formatting a bibliography continues in the same way as for any other index or table.
Note: If you are using the APA style, edit the Bibliography 1 paragraph style so that there is a half-inch indent before the text and a negative half-inch indent for the first line on the Indents and Spacing tab. These settings give all lines except the first line an automatic indentation.
7. If you choose, set the number of columns in which the bibliography displays from the Column tab and the background color or graphic from the Background tab.
8. Select the OK button to add the bibliography at the current mouse position.
9. If you choose, you can edit the Bibliography Heading and Bibliography paragraph styles to change the look. These styles are not listed in the Automatic view of the Styles and Formatting window until they are used by Writer to create a bibliography.
10. To edit or update the bibliography, right-click and select the appropriate item.
Unlike other entry markers, bibliography entries are formatted as you create the bibliography:
1. Select Insert > Indexes and Tables > Indexes/Tables > Index/Table > Type > Bibliography.
The Insert Index/Table screen opens. The options for bibliographies display.
2. If you want to use numbers as text citations, select the Number entries box.
This choice sets up an informal but widely used alternative to the Chicago, MLA and APA styles. In this style, citations in the body of the document are numbered, and the numbers correspond to the order of items in the bibliography.
3. Select the type of brackets, if any, that you want to use around bibliography entries.
Each style has its own methods of citations. The type you prefer to use affects which brackets you use or whether you use any at all.
Note: The formats you have chosen are applied when you add the Bibliography to the document.
-- Bruce Byfield (nanday)
One Click, Universal Protection: Implementing Centralized Security Policies on Linux Systems
Join editor Bill Childers and Bit9's Paul Riegle on April 27 at 12pm Central to learn how to keep your Linux systems secure.
Free to Linux Journal readers.Register Now!
- Considering Legacy UNIX/Linux Issues
- Cluetrain at Fifteen
- [<Megashare>] Watch Mrs Brown's Boys Movie Online Full Movie HD 2014
- New Products
- Putlocker!! Watch Begin Again Online 2014 Streaming Full Movie
- Getting Good Vibrations with Linux
- Memory Ordering in Modern Microprocessors, Part I
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Security Hardening with Ansible
- diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development