Adventures with Chumby
The Secret Chumby Menu—It's as Easy as Pi
There's a secret menu on the Chumby, and it is fairly easy to reach. Here's what you need to do:
Bring up the control panel.
Tap on Settings.
Tap on Chumby Info.
On the info screen, in the upper-right corner is a tiny Pi symbol, tap it.
If you followed the above steps, you now are looking at a screen titled “Do you believe in the Users?”. Tron references aside, now you can do things like browse the filesystem and start up the SSH dæmon.
Chumby Software Licenses
The software on the Chumby is open source, through and through. Just take a look at the Software Licenses screen (accessed from Settings→Chumby Info→Software Licenses). Hack away at the Chumby all you want.
SSH and HTTP on the Chumby
Being based on Linux, the Chumby has a lot of functionality that isn't exposed right off the bat. An example of this is the built-in Web server and the ability to SSH into the Chumby.
The Web server, by default, has only a link to some statistics on how good the wireless connection is, but it can be extended easily.
When you SSH into the Chumby, you'll find a nice, embedded command-line environment waiting for you, courtesy of BusyBox. You even can set up cron jobs and run shell scripts.
Daniel Bartholomew lives with his wife and children in North Carolina.
One Click, Universal Protection: Implementing Centralized Security Policies on Linux Systems
Join editor Bill Childers and Bit9's Paul Riegle on April 27 at 12pm Central to learn how to keep your Linux systems secure.
Free to Linux Journal readers.Register Now!
- New Products
- Developing for the Atmel AVR Microcontroller on Linux
- [<Megashare>] Watch Mrs Brown's Boys Movie Online Full Movie HD 2014
- Tips for Optimizing Linux Memory Usage
- GUI Scripting with Tcl/Tk
- Security Hardening with Ansible
- Movie Making on a Linux Box? No Way!
- NSA: Linux Journal is an "extremist forum" and its readers get flagged for extra surveillance
- Putlocker!! Watch Begin Again Online 2014 Streaming Full Movie
- RSS Feeds