I was first introduced to Linux (Debian) about 10 years ago. I remember I had really hard time to set things up and working at that time. For instance, I remember how I had to spend several days compiling a new kernel from the source to suit my hardware and consume less memory.
Well, I am afraid, after so many years things haven't improved much and I feel just little more confident to do things! recently I compiled kernel 3.1.6 for my laptop and it again took me couple of days to configure the right drivers and options and still I am having problem with the frame buffer.
The new grub2 doesn't look like the nice, but older grub at all! I just don't understand why the developers keep changing things unnecessarily! what else a boot loader is supposed to do other than booting a system? so, I am still puzzled what was missing in grub!
The point I would like to emphasize is the lack of consistency, transparency, and integrity among the Linux community. You spend a good amount of time learning how to do things and get your job done in Linux, but as soon as you start feeling like, Ok, now I know some tricks to do my job and feel confident, you realize that things are working in completely another way and your old knowledge is almost useless!
I think this is the most serious reason why Linux is not getting as much popular as it deserves. Simply, after so many years, Linux is still something you are scared to touch!
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Mars Needs Women
- RSS Feeds
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- IBM Will Minimize Impact of Future Disasters
- Linux Systems Administrator
- New Products
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- So girls had it better ?
56 min 30 sec ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
1 hour 16 min ago
- why is GNOME 3 in the fifth position at 14.1 %?
6 hours 48 min ago
- Sublime Is Brilliant!
11 hours 51 min ago
12 hours 11 min ago
- Rapid[Disk,Cache] better than native ram caching?
12 hours 36 min ago
- Nothing is perfect
12 hours 49 min ago
- Mixtapes Community
18 hours 28 min ago
- KDE is one true DE
19 hours 2 min ago
- Command Line Shells (Bash, Zsh, etc.) are 2nd place
19 hours 31 min ago