iptables, bridging and inside-/outside-issue
After reading through the article series by Mick Bauer regarding transparent firewalls I got a bit inspired to try for myself.
I've installed ubuntu onto a machine with 3 network interfaces, and bridged these three interfaces to one common bridge.
I've copied the iptables-script from part V in the series, but re-written it due to the fact that I in my installation will be unable to sort traffic based on ip.
I will not know which addresses will be used on either side of the firewall, so I'll have to sort my traffic on some other variable.
I was thinking that I could sort the traffic based on PHYSIN and PHYSOUT in iptables, but -i and -o does not seem to do that.
As an example I've created the following rule:
iptables -A FORWARD -i eth1 -o eth0 -p tcp --dport 80 -j ACCEPT
But I still get the following in my kernel log:
floyd kernel: [269519.979985] Dropped by default (FORWARD): IN=br0 OUT=br0 PHYSIN=eth1 PHYSOUT=eth0 SRC=10.0.0.113 DST=18.104.22.168 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=31771 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=35727 DPT=80 WINDOW=5840 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
Which as far as I can figure should be allowed by the rule.
What can I do to sort the traffic based on the physical interface?
Win an iPhone 6
Enter to Win
|Non-Linux FOSS: Install Windows? Yeah, Open Source Can Do That.||Nov 24, 2015|
|Cipher Security: How to harden TLS and SSH||Nov 23, 2015|
|Web Stores Held Hostage||Nov 19, 2015|
|diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development||Nov 17, 2015|
|Recipy for Science||Nov 16, 2015|
|Firefox's New Feature for Tighter Security||Nov 13, 2015|
- Cipher Security: How to harden TLS and SSH
- Non-Linux FOSS: Install Windows? Yeah, Open Source Can Do That.
- Web Stores Held Hostage
- Firefox's New Feature for Tighter Security
- diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development
- Libreboot on an x60, Part II: the Installation
- November 2015 Issue of Linux Journal: System Administration
- It's a Bird. It's Another Bird!
- How Will the Big Data Craze Play Out?
- IBM LinuxONE Provides New Options for Linux Deployment