Strata Conference 2012
Making Data Work
In 2005, Tim O'Reilly predicted: "Data is the Next Intel Inside." Today the future he envisioned is unfolding at a startling pace. O'Reilly's Strata Conference brings together the leading minds in big data: the decision makers using the power of big data to drive business strategy as well as the practitioners who collect, analyze, and manipulate the data. Strata and Hadoop World have now joined forces to create the largest gathering of the Apache Hadoop community in the world, with emphasis on hands-on and business sessions on the Hadoop ecosystem.
The Business of Data
A connected world, brimming with data and fueled by near-limitless computing power, is changing everything about how we live, love, work, and play. It's a change that offers tremendous opportunity—to transform business, end corruption, teach the world, and help society tackle its biggest challenges. And yet it creates new threats, from privacy concerns to Orwellian dystopia. What's clear is that the future belongs to those who understand how to collect and use their data successfully. And that future happens at Strata.
Strata Conference delivers the nuts-and-bolts foundation for building a data-driven business—the latest on the skills, tools, and technologies you need to make data work—alongside the forward-looking insights and ahead-of-the-curve thinking O'Reilly is known for.
Strata Conference & Hadoop World will bring three full days of inspiring keynotes, intensely practical & information-rich sessions, a sponsor pavilion with key players and products, and plenty of networking events to the East Coast. Strata has a laser-sharp focus on the big data issues that are shaping the business, finance, media, and government worlds.
Why You Should Attend
Strata is where the leading minds in big data converge to map out the future, share their experiences and expertise, and learn from the people driving the data revolution. If you want to tap into the opportunity that big data presents, be at Strata.
- Be among the first to understand how you can leverage the promise of this huge change, and survive the resulting disruption
- Find new ways to leverage your data assets across industries and disciplines
- Learn how to take big data from science project to real business application
- Discover training, hiring, and career opportunities for data professionals
- Meet-face-to face with other innovators and thought leaders
- Dozens of sessions that explore the latest advances, case studies, and best practices
- Networking opportunities with hundreds of other business leaders, data professionals, designers, and developers
- A vibrant "hallway track" for attendees, speakers, journalists, and vendors to debate and discuss important issues
- Fun evening events, receptions, and more, giving you more face time with attendees and speakers
Who Should Attend Strata
Strata Conference is for developers, data scientists, data analysts, and other data professionals, including:
- VPs or directors of marketing, analytics, or data warehousing
- CIOs, CTOs, enterprise architects
- Data scientists and analysts
- Developers and database professionals
- Product managers
- Researchers and academics
- Data-driven designers, journalists, and anthropologists
- VCs and investors
Strata attendees have job titles including:
Bioinformatics scientist; Business Process Analyst; CEO, COO, Chief Architect, Chief Creative Officer, Chief Data Officer, Chief Data Scientist, CIO/CTO, Computational Information Designer, Data Architect, Mining Engineer, Modeling Manager, Ops Manager; Director of Analytics, Business Development, Core Engineering, Consumer Web Development, International Research, Predictive Analytics and Optimization, Product Planning; Enterprise Architect; Founder; Manager of IT Metrics, Product Development, Technology Innovation, Web Systems; Managing Director; Partner; President; Principal; Principal Analyst,Engineer, Staff Research Engineer; Product Architect; Quantitative Analyst; Quantitative User Experience Researcher; Research Engineer; Research Systems Analyst; Search Quality Analyst; Senior Analytic Scientist, Director, Information Architect, Product Manager, Research Systems Analyst, Software Engineer, Statistician, Systems Engineer, Technologist; Software Architect and Development Manager; Solutions Architect; Sr. Technical Manager - Data Warehouse; User Experience Product Manager; Venture Partner; Vice Presidents of Data Analytics, Business Intelligence, Numerics, Engineering, R&D, Platform, Business Development/Strategy, Marketing Analytics, and Product Development; and more.
Strata brings together representatives from companies and organizations such as:
Accenture, Allstate, American Public Media, Analog Software, AOL, Apple, Artemis Financial Group, ATT Interactive, BabyCenter, Bioanalytical Computing, Booz Allen Hamilton, California Watch, Canon, Capital IQ, CareerBuilder.com, Carfax, Center for Investigative Reporting, Charles Schwab, Chevron, Clear Capital, DataRaker, Deutsche Bank, eBay, Etrade, Etsy, Factual, Federal Reserve Board, Fidelity Investments, Franklin Temple Investments, Gartner, Google, Greylock Partners, Groupon, Hitachi Data Systems, Intuit, Kaier Permanente, Lawrence Berkeley Labs, LinkedIn, Lockheed Martin, Macmillan, McLaren Applied Technologies, Merck & Co., Motorola Mobility, NBC Universal, National Academy of Sciences, The Neilsen Company, Netflix, New Scientist, Nokia, NTT DoCoMo, Opera Solutions, Orange Labs, Orbitz Worldwide, Paypal, Public Library of Sciences, Quest Software, Qwest, Raytheon/JPL, Salesforce.com, Samsung, Shared Learning, Shopzilla, Shell Oil, Smithsonian Institution, Starcom Worldwide, Stanford University, StumbleUpon, Survey Sampling International, Skype, SoundCloud, SVB Financial Group, Thomson Reuters, TIS R&D Center, Trident Capital, Truila, Twitter, U.C. Berkeley, UCLA, Universal Pictures International, USAA, US Census Bureau, Venrock, Verizon, Walmart Labs, The Walt Disney Company, Weather Trends International, Webster Clay, WebTrends, Wells Fargo, Wikibon, Zettaset, and more.
Practical books for the most technical people on the planet. Newly available books include:
- Agile Product Development by Ted Schmidt
- Improve Business Processes with an Enterprise Job Scheduler by Mike Diehl
- Finding Your Way: Mapping Your Network to Improve Manageability by Bill Childers
- DIY Commerce Site by Reven Lerner
Plus many more.