Why Are People So Crazy About Linux?
You see it all the time, a "product" that has a tiny percentage of the desktop market, and yet it's popularity is so evident. I'm not going to get into my thoughts on the future of Linux on the desktop, or what the percentage gains versus Apple looks like. What I'm interested in discussing, is why are people so crazy about Linux?
If you actually ask a Linux user, or a Linux supporter, you'll get a wide variety of answers. Some of the most common are because:
- It's free! (ie, you don't have to pay for it)
- It's free! (ie, open source, GPL, free speech, let the code flow baby...)
- It runs on pretty much any hardware
- Microsoft is evil and they eat kittens
- If I use Windows or OSX, it'll make me a conformist
- I can customize it any way I wish
- The peer support is amazing
- I wanna be different.
- I hate shopping for software at Walmart
- etc, etc, etc
So what's the real reason? Well, quite frankly, all of the above, and many others I didn't list. For me, I really like the options we have with themes, window managers, software choices, etc. I like the wiggly windows Compiz offers. I like the simplicity of text based config files. (Yes, for me, that's simpler, except for sendmail's config files... ugh) Heck, I love that there are thousands of programs simply a "yum" or an "apt-get" away.
If I had to pick a single reason that Linux is so popular, I think I'd have to say, "Because it's interesting." Love it or hate it, praise it or dis it, Linux is interesting. And that is what keeps people interested.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Mars Needs Women
- IBM Will Minimize Impact of Future Disasters
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- RSS Feeds
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Linux Systems Administrator
- Web Administration Scripts
- Sublime Is Brilliant!
2 hours 37 min ago
2 hours 56 min ago
- Rapid[Disk,Cache] better than native ram caching?
3 hours 21 min ago
- Nothing is perfect
3 hours 34 min ago
- Mixtapes Community
9 hours 13 min ago
- KDE is one true DE
9 hours 48 min ago
- Command Line Shells (Bash, Zsh, etc.) are 2nd place
10 hours 16 min ago
12 hours 11 min ago
- yes it's Jupiter Broadcasting
13 hours 31 min ago
- nice to see PClinuxOS finally
16 hours 4 min ago