The Z3300 has been a great travel machine with reasonable battery life but the small keyboard and screen makes it less than perfect as a day-to-day machine. As much as I love the ThinkPads, I am less than thrilled by their battery life. So, I am thinking it is time to consider my future laptop.
I don't have a specific machine in mind yet but I do know some characteristics I want. They are:
- A full-sized keyboard.
- A reasonable screen size which probably means 14 inches, plus or minus an inch.
- Decent battery life. Two hours would be fine as I am seldom far away from a 12V outlet.
- No "Microsoft tax".
- An LED back-light for the screen. Less power and it should last longer than I will.
- If possible, something other than a touchpad pointing device. I, well, hate touchpads but, as long as I can turn off "tap to click" I hate them a little less.
This is a very different list from when I shopped for the Z3300. Having the N800 addresses the "travel machine" so, while I may drag this new machine with me for extended stays, I no longer need something small and light enough to accompany me on an overnight trip.
Is speed an issue? No, not at all. Ages ago I had a little Toshiba—I forget the model—that ran vi just fine. Today, more of my work is with a web browser than vi so it needs a bit more speed but I am not going to be doing much beyond vi, browsing and occasionally running a word processor.
Ok, your turn. What is your suggestion for the best fit for my requirements?
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Linux Kernel News - November 2013
- Mars Needs Women
- RSS Feeds
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- Advanced Hard Drive Caching Techniques
- Web Administration Scripts
- New Products
- thanks for share, great
1 hour 36 min ago
- There are factors which are
6 hours 36 min ago
- Gnome 3 ?
7 hours 21 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
11 hours 28 min ago
- "Redis RethinkDB 4.5%" on Best NoSQL Databases
21 hours 34 min ago
- on the ground
1 day 3 hours ago
- I was able to read the whole
1 day 5 hours ago
- since i have read the title i
1 day 8 hours ago
- Belanja Online Cari Voucher Diskon
1 day 8 hours ago
- The kernel doesn't really
1 day 21 hours ago