What Will My New Laptop Be?
The Z3300 has been a great travel machine with reasonable battery life but the small keyboard and screen makes it less than perfect as a day-to-day machine. As much as I love the ThinkPads, I am less than thrilled by their battery life. So, I am thinking it is time to consider my future laptop.
I don't have a specific machine in mind yet but I do know some characteristics I want. They are:
- A full-sized keyboard.
- A reasonable screen size which probably means 14 inches, plus or minus an inch.
- Decent battery life. Two hours would be fine as I am seldom far away from a 12V outlet.
- No "Microsoft tax".
- An LED back-light for the screen. Less power and it should last longer than I will.
- If possible, something other than a touchpad pointing device. I, well, hate touchpads but, as long as I can turn off "tap to click" I hate them a little less.
This is a very different list from when I shopped for the Z3300. Having the N800 addresses the "travel machine" so, while I may drag this new machine with me for extended stays, I no longer need something small and light enough to accompany me on an overnight trip.
Is speed an issue? No, not at all. Ages ago I had a little Toshiba—I forget the model—that ran vi just fine. Today, more of my work is with a web browser than vi so it needs a bit more speed but I am not going to be doing much beyond vi, browsing and occasionally running a word processor.
Ok, your turn. What is your suggestion for the best fit for my requirements?
3 hours 59 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
11 hours 20 min ago
1 day 1 hour ago
- Why choose a Flash based product?
1 day 2 hours ago
1 day 14 hours ago
2 days 6 hours ago
- Thanks for clearing that up.
2 days 12 hours ago
- Nice coding on the cake. I
2 days 23 hours ago
- Baker's identity
3 days 4 hours ago
- Uber jealous
3 days 9 hours ago