Space Is Big-See It All!
I have a huge collection of NASA photos taken from the Astronomy Pic of the Day Web site (http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html) stored in a folder in my Dropbox. No matter what computer system I'm using, I rotate those images on my background, getting a virtual tour of the universe on every screen. Oddly enough, it can be challenging to get that image rotation to work well in Linux. I've mentioned some wallpaper-rotating applications before, but Slidewall is really pretty cool.
Slidewall includes a small dæmon process to change GNOME-based desktop wallpaper images. It's in the Ubuntu 12.04+ repositories, but it will work with any GNOME-based system. Rotating a wallpaper collection works well, but Slidewall goes the extra mile and will fetch collections live from the Internet, or it can display a live picture of the Earth showing which parts have sunlight and which don't. Slidewall is a huge step forward in desktop wallpaper management, and if you have a difficult time deciding what picture to use as your background, now you don't have to choose just one!
|Using Salt Stack and Vagrant for Drupal Development||May 20, 2013|
|Making Linux and Android Get Along (It's Not as Hard as It Sounds)||May 16, 2013|
|Drupal Is a Framework: Why Everyone Needs to Understand This||May 15, 2013|
|Home, My Backup Data Center||May 13, 2013|
|Non-Linux FOSS: Seashore||May 10, 2013|
|Trying to Tame the Tablet||May 08, 2013|
- RSS Feeds
- Making Linux and Android Get Along (It's Not as Hard as It Sounds)
- Using Salt Stack and Vagrant for Drupal Development
- New Products
- Validate an E-Mail Address with PHP, the Right Way
- Drupal Is a Framework: Why Everyone Needs to Understand This
- A Topic for Discussion - Open Source Feature-Richness?
- Download the Free Red Hat White Paper "Using an Open Source Framework to Catch the Bad Guy"
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Home, My Backup Data Center
- Android is Linux -- why no better inter-operation
1 hour 55 min ago
- Connecting Android device to desktop Linux via USB
2 hours 24 min ago
- Find new cell phone and tablet pc
3 hours 22 min ago
4 hours 50 min ago
- Automatically updating Guest Additions
5 hours 59 min ago
- I like your topic on android
6 hours 46 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
7 hours 7 min ago
- This is the easiest tutorial
13 hours 21 min ago
- Ahh, the Koolaid.
19 hours 11 sec ago
- git-annex assistant
1 day 59 min ago