newbie here. i'm currently taking a linux class and have an assignment and am having problems. the assignment is to create a shell script.
the instructions are to log in and create a directory called "scripts" in my home directory. then i am to open the text editor and create a script that displays the date, who is logged on and the current directory.
then we are to run the command using the bash command.
here is what i wrote.
#this is a comment
when i try to run it, it won't run.
i have tried it both logged in as a user and as root.
i have also changed the permissions using chmod 755 script1
the next step after we run it is to change the permissions to what i already changed it to. we are then asked to run the script by typing in just the script name (script1).
we then have to add echo escape sequences so that each item appears on a new line.
there is more but if i can get this to work i might be able to finish it.
thanks for any advice.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Mars Needs Women
- RSS Feeds
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- New Products
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- IBM Will Minimize Impact of Future Disasters
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- Linux Systems Administrator
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- why is GNOME 3 in the fifth position at 14.1 %?
2 hours 15 min ago
- Sublime Is Brilliant!
7 hours 18 min ago
7 hours 38 min ago
- Rapid[Disk,Cache] better than native ram caching?
8 hours 2 min ago
- Nothing is perfect
8 hours 16 min ago
- Mixtapes Community
13 hours 55 min ago
- KDE is one true DE
14 hours 29 min ago
- Command Line Shells (Bash, Zsh, etc.) are 2nd place
14 hours 58 min ago
16 hours 53 min ago
- yes it's Jupiter Broadcasting
18 hours 12 min ago