SCO is Back, and This Time It's Personal
We all thought it was time to party, that the enemy was finally vanquished, that it was time for Champagne and cigars. We learned our lesson yesterday afternoon, though, when SCO smacked us all in the face with a hundred million dollars.
That's right, SCO suddenly has deep pockets, courtesy of their friend Stephen Norris, the uber-finance geek. Norris and his private equity firm — Stephen Norris Capital Partners, LLC — have decided to buy a stake in SCO, though the exact amount won't be clear until the Utah courts decide how much SCO has to pay IBM and Novell. What is clear is that they suddenly have a $95 million line-of-credit to pursue all the litigation their cold, black hearts desire. Others have pointed out that these guys are the biggest, baddest, beat-the-crap-out-of-anyone-in-their-way-ist, and won't have a moment's pause about coming after everyone in the Linux world, from IBM and Novell right down to us, the everyday users.
As the ever-vigilant White Knights over at Groklaw point out, there's still some hope — the all-powerful Bankruptcy court can quash them with the stroke of a pen, and the European Commission not to mention the SEC may well have a thing or two to say — but the outlook certainly isn't as rosy as it was on Wednesday.
Lord have mercy...
Justin Ryan is a Contributing Editor for Linux Journal.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Advanced Hard Drive Caching Techniques
- Linux Kernel News - November 2013
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Mars Needs Women
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- RSS Feeds
- Web Administration Scripts
- New Products
- animal pajamas
2 hours 20 min ago
- thanks for you post.
2 hours 27 min ago
- thanks for share, great
19 hours 41 min ago
- There are factors which are
1 day 40 min ago
- Gnome 3 ?
1 day 1 hour ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
1 day 5 hours ago
- "Redis RethinkDB 4.5%" on Best NoSQL Databases
1 day 15 hours ago
- on the ground
1 day 22 hours ago
- I was able to read the whole
1 day 23 hours ago
- since i have read the title i
2 days 2 hours ago