Reverse Engineering Malware on Linux with IDA Pro
The brief method. If I get good response to this post, I will put up a more detailed and in-depth look at malware reversing on Linux.
* Download IDA Pro (freeware)
* Install wine
* Install IDA Pro
* Start reversing
Download IDA Pro (freeware):
$ cd /tmp
$ wget http://188.8.131.52/files/idafree49.exe
$ sudo aptitude install wine
Install IDA Pro:
$ wine /tmp/idafree49.exe
$ wine "~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/IDA Free/idag.exe"
-> Now open the malware binary and select the option for ELF executables
This post is a stub for a future longer version if anyone shows interest. I don't even know how many Linux Journal readers actually reverse malware on Linux...
Fast/Flexible Linux OS Recovery
On Demand Now
Join Linux Journal's Shawn Powers and David Huffman, President/CEO, Storix, Inc.
Free to Linux Journal readers.Register Now!
- Ubuntu Online Summit
- Devuan Beta Release
- The Qt Company's Qt Start-Up
- Download "Linux Management with Red Hat Satellite: Measuring Business Impact and ROI"
- May 2016 Issue of Linux Journal
- The US Government and Open-Source Software
- Open-Source Project Secretly Funded by CIA
- The Death of RoboVM
- New Container Image Standard Promises More Portable Apps
- BitTorrent Inc.'s Sync