OK Palm, We're Ready for the Foleo Now
Ahh, poor Palm. Sure, they have their fancy new WebOS toys -- but it wasn't that long ago they were banking on the Foleo changing the mobile world as we knew it. Sadly, they were just a little too early, and a little too lame. Here's the good news, Palm: We're ready now. Let me give you a bit of a vision, and you run with it...
Imagine for a moment that your cellphone is as powerful as a netbook. My Nokia n900 actually is that awesome, but we'll pretend I own a Palm Pre. And that it's as awesome.
Ok, back to the imagining: Your mobile computer is great, but sadly the keyboard and screen aren't that great for long form typing. Sure, you can tweet your tweets, book your face, and SMS your SMSers -- but even a moderate length email starts to get annoying. If only there were a way to get your pocket sized computer onto a docking station. A docking station with a battery. And a screen. And a real keyboard. Just like the Palm Foleo almost was!
I'm not suggesting the Foleo should exist in its original form. I'm suggesting Palm (or Nokia?) design a sheath for their mobile computers that could replace a netbook. Really, do you ever have a netbook somewhere you don't have your cellphone? Of course not. Just think about the advantages a Foleo-like device could offer the mobile geek:
- A huge battery to charge the phone while "docked."
- A big screen. Even if a similar resolution, bigger pixels.
- A keyboard as opposed to a thumbboard.
- A webcam, for Skyping?
- A simple way to get mobile connectivity. The cellphone already has it, no need to hunt for WiFi or tether your cell!
- No need for a pricey netbook you really hate anyway.
So there you go Palm. Give us a Foleo, but reinvent it a bit. If you give me a terminal window with WebOS, I might even switch from my Nokia to a Palm device. Do it quick though, because quite honestly -- if Nokia makes the Noleo first, I'll buy that in a heartbeat!
- Two Pi R
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- AIDE—Developing for Android on Android
- Best. Cake. Ever.
- The Geek's Guide to the Coolest 2013 Holiday Gifts
- A Handy U-Boot Trick
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- RSS Feeds
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Baker's identity
2 hours 23 min ago
- Uber jealous
7 hours 20 min ago
- Reality is disapointing
17 hours 52 min ago
- Máy sấy quần áo
20 hours 38 min ago
- Services on GlusterFS
20 hours 48 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
22 hours 28 min ago
- Definitely cool stuff here
23 hours 30 min ago
- thanks for the information
1 day 41 min ago
- nice information thanks
1 day 1 hour ago
1 day 4 hours ago