Non-Linux FOSS: AutoCAD Alternatives
Although AutoCAD is the champion of the computer-aided design world, some alternatives are worth looking into. In fact, even a few open-source options manage to pack some decent features into an infinitely affordable solution.
QCAD from Ribbonsoft is one of those hybrid programs that has a fully functional GPL base (the Community Edition) and a commercial application, which adds functionality for a fee. On Linux, installing QCAD is usually as easy as a quick trip to your distro's package manager. For Windows users, however, Ribbonsoft offers source code, but nothing else. Thankfully, someone over at SourceForge has compiled QCAD for Windows, and it's downloadable from http://qcadbin-win.sourceforge.net.
For a completely free option, however, FreeCAD might be a better choice. With binaries available for Windows, OS X and Linux, FreeCAD is a breeze to distribute. In my very limited field testing, our local industrial arts teacher preferred FreeCAD over the other open-source alternatives, but because they're free, you can decide for yourself! Check out FreeCAD at http://free-cad.sourceforge.net.
FreeCAD (screenshot from http://free-cad.sourceforge.net)
Win an iPhone 6
Enter to Win
|Geek Hide-away in Guatemala - Stay for Free!||Nov 26, 2015|
|Microsoft and Linux: True Romance or Toxic Love?||Nov 25, 2015|
|Non-Linux FOSS: Install Windows? Yeah, Open Source Can Do That.||Nov 24, 2015|
|Cipher Security: How to harden TLS and SSH||Nov 23, 2015|
|Web Stores Held Hostage||Nov 19, 2015|
|diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development||Nov 17, 2015|
- Microsoft and Linux: True Romance or Toxic Love?
- Cipher Security: How to harden TLS and SSH
- Non-Linux FOSS: Install Windows? Yeah, Open Source Can Do That.
- Web Stores Held Hostage
- Firefox's New Feature for Tighter Security
- Geek Hide-away in Guatemala - Stay for Free!
- It's a Bird. It's Another Bird!
- PuppetLabs Introduces Application Orchestration
- diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development
- IBM LinuxONE Provides New Options for Linux Deployment