I needed an FTP client that would resume a put. I had been using a firefox plugin but it isn't available for firefox 3 yet. I had also used Kftpgrabber which works but is (newbies beware here) hard to use because it has a GUI instead of being a nice, clean, easy-to-use command line.
Is there such an animal? Yes, and its name is ncftp. Easy to use? I think so. For example, to upload the Plan de Manejo Reserva Natural Tisey-Estansuela (that I have named tisey_plan.pdf for sanity) to our ftp site that requires a login, here is what I did:
$ ncftp -u secret_username -p secret_password ftp.servage.net
> cd /www/p/gr
> put plan_tisey.ftp
If the file exists, its default action is to ask you what to do: skip, resume or restart.
The result? Check out http://p.nicapages.com/gr/plan_tisey.pdf and practice your Spanish. You will quickly know a lot more about where the Geek Ranch is being built.
In case you are wondering, we use servage for some of our hosting. They are in Germany, and offer a lot of space and bandwidth at a reasonable price. On the downside, no shell access is available. And, yes, they are running Linux.
Practical books for the most technical people on the planet. Newly available books include:
- Agile Product Development by Ted Schmidt
- Improve Business Processes with an Enterprise Job Scheduler by Mike Diehl
- Finding Your Way: Mapping Your Network to Improve Manageability by Bill Childers
- DIY Commerce Site by Reven Lerner
Plus many more.
- Handheld Emulation: Achievement Unlocked!
- Happy GPL Birthday VLC!
- Unikernels, Docker, and Why You Should Care
- Download "Linux Management with Red Hat Satellite: Measuring Business Impact and ROI"
- New Products
- Don't Burn Your Android Yet
- Controversy at the Linux Foundation
- Firefox OS
- Giving Silos Their Due
- What's New in 3D Printing, Part III: the Software