WiiLi is a Linux port in the works for the Nintendo Wii. Drivers are being developed for Wii features, including the SD card slot, the wireless 802.11b/g and Bluetooth hardware, and for the remote.
A proof-of-concept Wii distribution was rolled out earlier this year by the GameCube Linux project. It relies on a Twilight Hack developed by Team Twiizers. The hack leverages an exploit in a Wii game title to launch a Linux bootloader (see video).
We're eager to see Linux on the Wii. In the meanwhile, settle for seeing Linux Journal on the Wii -- we all have our own Miis here in the office. Add Linux Journal as a Wii friend and we'll send you any LJ staffers you'd like. :-) Our console number is: 2924 2525 5556 2687 (post yours in the comments below and we'll add you too).
Carlie Fairchild is the publisher of Linux Journal.
Practical books for the most technical people on the planet. Newly available books include:
- Agile Product Development by Ted Schmidt
- Improve Business Processes with an Enterprise Job Scheduler by Mike Diehl
- Finding Your Way: Mapping Your Network to Improve Manageability by Bill Childers
- DIY Commerce Site by Reven Lerner
Plus many more.
- Download "Linux Management with Red Hat Satellite: Measuring Business Impact and ROI"
- Happy GPL Birthday VLC!
- Unikernels, Docker, and Why You Should Care
- Handheld Emulation: Achievement Unlocked!
- Controversy at the Linux Foundation
- Giving Silos Their Due
- Don't Burn Your Android Yet
- Firefox OS
- Wine 1.8 Released