Long Live IRC
Find Linux Journal on irc.freenode.net, #linuxjournal. Join us in the room any time for some quick help, support or witty banter.
New to IRC? From Wikipedia, Internet Relay Chat (IRC) is, "a protocol for live interactive Internet text messaging (chat) or synchronous conferencing. It is mainly designed for group communication in discussion forums, called channels, but also allows one-to-one communication via private message as well as chat and data transfer, including file sharing.Client software is available for every major operating system that supports Internet access."
Once in a chat room, these user IRC commands will help you get around:
- /? - List Commands
- /ABOUT - Displays information about the chat room
- /CHANNEL or /CH [channel] - Change channels
- /CHANNEL by itself to list channels and subjects
- /CLEAR - Clears the screen by sending a bunch of blank lines
- /DO [action] - Displays an action like "Yourname [action]"
- /HELP - Displays this help screen
- /INFO or /I - Displays info about logins, users on,current time
- /LIST or /L - Lists people on this channel
- /LISTALL or /LA - List people on all channels
- /MSG - Displays a list of messages
- /PAGE or /P [user] - Pages a user
- /QUIT or /Q - Exit the chat room
- /RECENT or /R - Lists recent users of the chat room
- /ROLL or /.#d% - Rolls #, % sided dice
- /SET [variable] [value] - Sets a variable
- /SET by itself for a list of variables
- /SHOW or /S - Displays status of user variables
- /WHISPER or /WH [user][message] - Sends a message to a specific user
- /YELL or /Y[text] - Send a message to all users on all channels
See you in #linuxjournal soon!
Carlie Fairchild is the publisher of Linux Journal.
One Click, Universal Protection: Implementing Centralized Security Policies on Linux Systems
Join editor Bill Childers and Bit9's Paul Riegle on April 27 at 12pm Central to learn how to keep your Linux systems secure.
Free to Linux Journal readers.Register Now!
|diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development||Aug 20, 2014|
|Security Hardening with Ansible||Aug 18, 2014|
|Monitoring Android Traffic with Wireshark||Aug 14, 2014|
|IndieBox: for Gamers Who Miss Boxes!||Aug 13, 2014|
|Non-Linux FOSS: a Virtualized Cisco Infrastructure?||Aug 11, 2014|
|Linux Security Threats on the Rise||Aug 08, 2014|
- diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development
- Security Hardening with Ansible
- NSA: Linux Journal is an "extremist forum" and its readers get flagged for extra surveillance
- Monitoring Android Traffic with Wireshark
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- RSS Feeds
- [<Megashare>] Watch Mrs Brown's Boys Movie Online Full Movie HD 2014
- Cooking with Linux - Serious Cool, Sysadmin Style!
- Linux Security Threats on the Rise