As I mentioned in an earlier Linux Journal article, I decided to cut the apron strings with my television provider over a year ago. Bye bye, DISH Satelite TV!
Man, you should have heard them whimper. "But sir, is there anything we can do to keep your business?"
"No, thanks. I get all of my content off the internet now. Have you tried Hulu.com*? It's great!" I can be a real jerk sometimes.
In any event, I thought I'd share my system specs with you and tell you a little bit about how I've got it configured.
Here is the hardware that I used to build the box. Total cost was ~$520.
I installed the latest KDE (Kubuntu 10.04) on it and dumbed down the interface to where it only provides the media services I want: video & music. Here are a few screen shots:
As you can see, I use Amarok as the music player, Dolphin as the file browser and I have the Linux Hulu Desktop client installed. All of the local media is streamed via NFS from one of the servers in my home office over gigabit ethernet.
Combining this machine with a Denon AVR-890 800 watt Surround Receiver, a Samsung 47" LED flat panel, a Sony Blu Ray player, and my wonderful old Celestion 9 speakers and we can do some serious rock and roll on the home entertainment center.
*Note: Hulu.com is only available for streaming content from within the United States.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- IBM Will Minimize Impact of Future Disasters
- RSS Feeds
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Linux Systems Administrator
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Senior Perl Developer
- Technical Support Rep
- Linux Kernel News - October 2013
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
11 hours 52 min ago
- It's Jupiter
12 hours 52 min ago
- GIMP is certainly a graphic
13 hours 54 min ago
- Thanks For Your Sharing
18 hours 40 min ago
- Studying linux, and looking
22 hours 5 min ago
- voting for Best Linux Distribution
1 day 6 hours ago
- tizen vs android
1 day 10 hours ago
- i switch my choice from KDE
1 day 11 hours ago
1 day 14 hours ago
- Belanja Online
1 day 16 hours ago