The New Features in LibreOffice 3.3
Despite earlier reports that very few if any new features would likely be seen in The Document Foundation's first LibreOffice release, the influx of new developers allowed much more work to be done. In fact, it was even released ahead of schedule. So, what kind of new goodies might one find?
In the press release the top 9 favorite amongst developers were listed. They were:
1) the ability to import and work with SVG files
2) an easy way to format title pages and their numbering in Writer
3) a more-helpful Navigator Tool for Writer
4) improved ergonomics in Calc for sheet and cell management
5) Microsoft Works and Lotus Word Pro document import filters.
6) many great extensions are now bundled
7) providing PDF import
8) a slide-show presenter console
9) a much improved report builder
Some other new features listed on the LibreOffice New Features Webpage include:
1) Added "Experimental" mode, test out as-yet-unfinished features
2) Bundled Linux "Libertine G" and Linux "Biolinum G" fonts
3) Improved slide layout handling in Impress
4) New easier-to-use print interface
Of course, all the new features added to OpenOffice.org 3.3 are also in LibreOffice 3.3, many of which were contributed by LibreOffice developers. Some of these include: "embedding of standard PDF fonts in PDF documents; new Liberation Narrow font; increased document protection in Writer and Calc; auto decimal digits for "General" format in Calc; 1 million rows in a spreadsheet; new options for CSV import in Calc; insert drawing objects in Charts; hierarchical axis labels for Charts; improved slide layout handling in Impress; a new easier-to-use print interface; more options for changing case; and colored sheet tabs in Calc." See all the new features at LibreOffice.com.
Susan Linton is a Linux writer and the owner of tuxmachines.org.
- Understanding OpenStack's Success
- Ensono M.O.
- Own Your DNS Data
- Teradici's Cloud Access Platform: "Plug & Play" Cloud for the Enterprise
- Simple Server Hardening
- Understanding Firewalld in Multi-Zone Configurations
- From vs. to + for Microsoft and Linux
- Returning Values from Bash Functions
- Bash Shell Script: Building a Better March Madness Bracket
- Natalie Rusk's Scratch Coding Cards (No Starch Press)