Lenny Looks Likely to Leave Lockup
Predicting the release date of a new stable version of Debian — which eschews a set release schedule in order to bring about a release when it is ready for release — is a task composed of a lot of perception, at least a little participation, and a bit of psychic prediction. It seems the crystal ball has once again been uncovered, as the Debian Release Team has announced a full freeze on the lenny testing branch as a precursor to a full release in September.
The current Debian release, 4.0, better known by its codename etch, was released in April of 2007. Before the 5.0 release, known as lenny, meets the announced release date, developers will be hard at work on a number of goals, including correcting a number of bugs related to bash/dash usage, wrapping up work on double compilation support, and ensuring full support for dependency-based init systems. They are also bringing back the BSP Marathons — BSP for Bug Squashing Party — previously utilized to clear up lingering bugs in the lead up to release; those interested in organizing a BSP should contact the Debian Release Team.
A full summary of the project's Release Goals is available from the Debian Release site, along with a trove of other useful information. We at Breaking News will be keeping our eyes peeled and our sacred chickens at hand — we'll be sure to bring updates on any developments or changes to the predicted release date.
Justin Ryan is a Contributing Editor for Linux Journal.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Mars Needs Women
- IBM Will Minimize Impact of Future Disasters
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- RSS Feeds
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Linux Systems Administrator
- Web Administration Scripts
- Sublime Is Brilliant!
2 hours 14 min ago
2 hours 33 min ago
- Rapid[Disk,Cache] better than native ram caching?
2 hours 58 min ago
- Nothing is perfect
3 hours 12 min ago
- Mixtapes Community
8 hours 51 min ago
- KDE is one true DE
9 hours 25 min ago
- Command Line Shells (Bash, Zsh, etc.) are 2nd place
9 hours 54 min ago
11 hours 49 min ago
- yes it's Jupiter Broadcasting
13 hours 8 min ago
- nice to see PClinuxOS finally
15 hours 42 min ago