German Students to Do the Geek Gordons
If you've been hacking, coding, or just generally IT-ing for more than ten minutes, you've likely run into a stereotype or two about geeks — and there's always a grain of truth, however tiny, behind a stereotype. At least that seems to be the prevailing wisdom at Germany's Potsdam University, where the IT faculty are gearing up to turn their masters students into master suitors.
Apparently — and we couldn't make this stuff up if we tried — Potsdam University is now offering a course in flirting to IT students enrolled in the master's program at the University. The course, which has already attracted 440 would-be Dons Juan, will teach students to impress potential dates at parties, write "flirtatious text messages" and email, and cope with every geek's apparent fear, rejection. Stress management, body language, presentation, and public speaking skills will be imparted to the lucky lotharios, skills that can be used to do more than "get someone else's heart beating fast while yours stays calm," to quote instructor Phillip von Senftleben.
According to PU-spokesman Hans-Joachim Allgaier, the course is intended to produce students ready to become successful professionals: "We want to prepare our students with the social skills needed to succeed both in their private life and their work life." Exactly which areas of the Casanova curriculum constitute essential expertise for the job market we suspect our attorneys would advise us not to ask.
Justin Ryan is a Contributing Editor for Linux Journal.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Mars Needs Women
- RSS Feeds
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- IBM Will Minimize Impact of Future Disasters
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Linux Systems Administrator
- Senior Perl Developer
30 min 37 sec ago
- This should be very helpful
1 hour 44 min ago
- As much as I share your point
4 hours 4 min ago
- So girls had it better ?
7 hours 35 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
7 hours 56 min ago
- why is GNOME 3 in the fifth position at 14.1 %?
13 hours 28 min ago
- Sublime Is Brilliant!
18 hours 31 min ago
18 hours 50 min ago
- Rapid[Disk,Cache] better than native ram caching?
19 hours 15 min ago
- Nothing is perfect
19 hours 28 min ago