FOSS Linux CRM Roundup
Back at the 2003 OSCON, r0ml Lefkowitz gave a talk called "Six Missing Open Source Projects".The next year he gave a talk titled "More Missing Open Source Projects". At the top of his first list was CRM, or Customer Relationship Management, systems. Here's what I wrote about it in an August 2004 piece:
“Relationships are more important to most companies than code”, he said, which is why they spend more money on marketing than on programming. He said there is plenty of CRM customer resource management software out there for big companies, but none yet from the open-source world.
Well, that was then. I just revisited the subject, and here's what I find now:
- ADempiere -- "completely open and free"
- CentraView -- "Built on Apache Tomcat, JBoss, MySQL, Linux (Fedora, RedHat and others) & Windows"
- CiviCRM -- "The Open Source Solution for the Civic Sector"
- Compiere -- "Open Source ERP and CRM"
- Concursive -- "easy to use, easy to deploy open source solution"
- Covide - "Covide is an OpenSource project licensed under the GPL"
- Cream -- "A free, open-source CRM for media organizations"
- Hipergate -- "Open Source CRM and GroupWare"
- Openbravo -- "a fully functional, integrated, web-based, open source ERP" (includes CRM)
- opentaps -- "a complete open source platform"
- openCRX -- "published with an OSI certified BSD-style license"
- SugarCRM -- "commercial open source
- OpenERP -- "Open Source enterprise management software" (includes CRM)
- vtiger -- "honest open source"
Am I missing any? I did leave out a couple that either run only on Microsoft systems, or address Microsoft corporate environments.
And what is your experience with any of these? I'm kind of amazed to find so many, but then all I have to do is look at the number and variety of Linux distros to get some perspective.
Doc Searls is Senior Editor of Linux Journal
- Android Candy: Google Keep
- Handling the workloads of the Future
- Readers' Choice Awards 2014
- How Can We Get Business to Care about Freedom, Openness and Interoperability?
- diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development
- Days Between Dates?
- Synchronize Your Life with ownCloud
- Computing without a Computer
- Non-Linux FOSS: Don't Type All Those Words!
Editorial Advisory Panel
Thank you to our 2014 Editorial Advisors!
- Jeff Parent
- Brad Baillio
- Nick Baronian
- Steve Case
- Chadalavada Kalyana
- Caleb Cullen
- Keir Davis
- Michael Eager
- Nick Faltys
- Dennis Frey
- Philip Jacob
- Jay Kruizenga
- Steve Marquez
- Dave McAllister
- Craig Oda
- Mike Roberts
- Chris Stark
- Patrick Swartz
- David Lynch
- Alicia Gibb
- Thomas Quinlan
- Carson McDonald
- Kristen Shoemaker
- Charnell Luchich
- James Walker
- Victor Gregorio
- Hari Boukis
- Brian Conner
- David Lane